I hope this is a basic question about TRIMMING quad output
  • splitgrill

I hope this is a basic question about TRIMMING quad output

by splitgrill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

I am working with an image as the media. So when I create a Quad, I see it large in the output view. I want to be able to map the corners of that quad to a much smaller space, BUT WITHOUT affecting the perspective, scale, or appearance at all of the output view. I would call this TRIMMING. Can you TRIM an output quad--that is, map it without altering the scale or perspective?

For example, let's say that a face closeup quad occupies the entire projection area. Can you trim(map) the quad down to eye without changing the size of the eye, leaving nothing but the eye?
  • splitgrill

Re: I hope this is a basic question about TRIMMING quad output

by splitgrill » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 pm

OK! I think I have the answer to my own question! With the quad selected, in the quad inspector on the bottom left, select "Mesh Warping" and then "Show Input Mesh"--this will let you determine what part of the INPUT you want to use. The key is to do the "mapping" part of it IN THE INPUT, while watching the effect on the output. So mapping with the input doesn't affect anything on the output except what portion of the input you're seeing, whereas "normal" mapping on the output will affect scale and perspective.

Giving credit where it is due:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AW8tS2zXEU