OSC command to change FX on a quad
  • splitgrill

OSC command to change FX on a quad

by splitgrill » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:07 pm

What does this OSC command to madmapper do?
    /surfaces/Quad-1/fx/FX_Type
    Intuitively, I expect that to be followed with all the allowable effect types (Color Controls, Soft Border, Luma key, etc) but it isn't. So then I thought that the effect type might be set in the Vézer track created by the command above, but all I see is the flag that can be moved along the timeline.
    One workaround is to create Cues in MM that contain the different effect states of the quad, and then have Vézer play the Cues, but since I don't understand MM Cues well, I was hoping to achieve the same result in Vézer without using MM Cues, using OSC commands.
    What I want to do is change the quad effects over time. Thanks and sorry for not having the complete vocabulary to describe my problem well...
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: OSC command to change FX on a quad

by mad-matt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:51 pm

MadMapper exposes the address surface/.../fx/FX_Type to let you choose between FXs. It's a string value with a set of possible values.
    Vezer doesn't propose the list of possible values but you can send /surfaces/Quad-1/fx/FX_Type <"Color Controls"> for instance
  • splitgrill

by splitgrill » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:04 pm

Excellent! Thank you Mad-Matt!

Say, as a guy who once considered programming as a career, what function do the <> symbols do in that command line? Are they for the benefit of communicating between programmers and indicate that a space goes there? I see vézer removes it and seems to replace it with a space...
  • .lov._

by .lov._ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Vezér needs to know if you want to send a parameter with a command explicitly, otherwise something like /surfaces/Quad-1/fx/FX_Type Color Controls could be a valid OSC address space. :wink:
    Vezér - timeline and control software for visual artists
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:48 pm

By the way for anyone having issue with spaces in OSC addresses (ie if you name your surface "My super surface"), you can replace spaces with underscores in the OSC address in your OSC control application (Vezér, QLab etc.): /surfaces/My_super_surface/opacity