MadMapper and SMPTE
  • simonegiusti

MadMapper and SMPTE

by simonegiusti » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:36 am

Hello,
    how can I control scenes/cues with SMPTE signal ??
    Thanks.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: MadMapper and SMPTE

by mad-matt » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 pm

You can't directly at the moment. You would need an extra software with a timeline you control with SMPTE and where you put events to trigger scenes/cues (Midi, OSC or DMX)
  • Fabioquiet

by Fabioquiet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Some news about smtpe? Someone know if they will add it in the future on madmapper? When you work with other people on the same show it is one of the best way to sync everyone. thanks
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm

we're adding MTC at the moment, but not SMPTE
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 pm

"MIDI time code (MTC) embeds the same timing information as standard SMPTE timecode as a series of small 'quarter-frame' MIDI messages."

MTC is the implementation of SMPTE over MIDI. You can already sync a movie to MTC but manually (we'll make things better): put your movie in pause, assign MIDI MTC channel to movie position slider, copy the target range max value (the duration of the movie in seconds) to the source range max value. That's it. Now, if you movie is 400 seconds long, when MTC will go from 0 - 400, the movie will go from 0-400. However since your movie is paused, it won't play any audio track. That's why part of the job is still to be done. We need to adjust playback speed smartly to match MTC and not control the position...
  • opidmx512

by opidmx512 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 am

we're adding MTC at the moment, but not SMPTE
    Hi Franz, Matt ,

what is the status for the MTC (DIN-MIDI?, Apple/RTP-MIDI?) implementation ?

Thanks, Arjan
  • opidmx512

by opidmx512 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 pm

@simonegiusti @Fabioquiet

I have a SMPTE LTC reader converter based on the Orange Pi Zero. It is all open source and open hardware.

http://www.orangepi-dmx.org/orange-pi-s ... -converter

This solution might help you connecting your SMPTE LTC signal to MadMapper.

- Arjan
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm

experimentally we had MTC almost working but the performance was far from great.
    then we got distracted by MadMapper 4 ...
    we should come back to MTC after MM4 release
  • simonegiusti

by simonegiusti » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:26 am

experimentally we had MTC almost working but the performance was far from great.
    Hello,
    how is going with MTC implementation ? Did you achieve that ?
  • simonegiusti

by simonegiusti » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:44 pm

Hello,
    how is going with MTC implementation ? Did you achieve that ?
    Hello,
    what about giving us an answer ?
    thanks.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:40 pm

You can check this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2_dJy ... e=youtu.be
    A bit tricky but that's the only way to do it at the moment (except directly controlling movie playback position from an OSC floating point value - or DMX 16 bits channel -from another timeline software)
  • tarnschaf

by tarnschaf » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:09 pm

I am currently playing with MadMapper and was missing a timeline feature. I understood that MadMapper prefers to be controlled by another timeline software, which would be fine for me so I played with Ableton Link and MTC.
    It looks like Ableton Link does not have a timecode feature, only syncing to BPM/beats and Ableton Live does not support sending MTC natively. So I setup a third software to send MTC (MTC Sender by Styletronix.net) and managed to control Ableton and MadMapper video position with it (like in the small tutorial video).
    Now my problem is, MadMapper does syncs the position correctly but both audio and video are a stuttering (like it has to correct the position all the time a little bit). "High Precision mode" in the sender does not help either.
    Is this currently the way it is or am I doing something wrong? Would controlling the position with OSC deliver better results?
  • tarnschaf

by tarnschaf » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:26 pm

Hm, no.
    I tried using Chataigne, create a timeline of the same length as my video, mapped "Current Time" of the sequence to "Position" of MadMapper video (using OSC). Since MadMapper expects a 0-1 float, I had to divide by 354,18 (total seconds runtime).
    Again, it almost works, even a little bit better than Midi, but audio and video are still a little bit sluggish.
    I think I can still use this setup, using external software to trigger the media playback in MadMapper and only use the position sync during show design.
  • tarnschaf

by tarnschaf » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:07 pm

Sorry for spamming also because the topic diverged from SMPTE. However, I found an ok workaround. I fixed it by not sending "every" position update to MadMapper but only every x seconds. I still hear a audio arifact everytime the position update is received (probably minimal adjustment/lag/whatever), but for my use case this is totally acceptable. Maybe it helps somone else.