Master MIDI speed control for all Movies in project
  • samulj

Master MIDI speed control for all Movies in project

by samulj » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm

I'd like to have a MIDI master speed control for all of the clips in my Madmapper project. A single knob on a MIDI controller that would change the speed from 90%-110% to help getting in sync with the music played by the band I'm VJing for.

I've been able to achieve this in individual Movies by going through them one by one and adding a MIDI In control and copy/pasting in the control list panel.

Now, is it possible to have the same MIDI control settings assigned to a large number of movies at once instead of doing it one-by-one?

Or, alternatively:

I have all of my movies in Cues. Is it possible to assign the same MIDI control to a bunch of Cues at once? I don't quite grasp the Cues yet, but it looks as if the MIDI mapping is not included in them.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Master MIDI speed control for all Movies in project

by mad-matt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi,
    Actually you can't create a single control for the speed of all movies. You can create a control for the selected movie, so if you have a single movie playing at a time, that would solve (you'll have to select a surface with the movie attached, then when changing movie on the surface it will change media selection so the control will apply to this movie). The control url is "/medias/selected/play_speed"
    You could also create a set of cues only containing the movies speed, with cue 1 having speed of all movies at 90%, cue 2 at 92%, cue 3 at 94% etc. But that would not make setting up your show faster.
    Cheers
  • samulj

by samulj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi,
    Actually you can't create a single control for the speed of all movies. You can create a control for the selected movie, so if you have a single movie playing at a time, that would solve (you'll have to select a surface with the movie attached, then when changing movie on the surface it will change media selection so the control will apply to this movie). The control url is "/medias/selected/play_speed"
    You could also create a set of cues only containing the movies speed, with cue 1 having speed of all movies at 90%, cue 2 at 92%, cue 3 at 94% etc. But that would not make setting up your show faster.
    Cheers

Thanks again Matt! This works perfectly.

With a combination of "/medias/selected/play_speed" and "/medias/selected/absolute_play_speed" I mapped a MIDI knob for the speed increase and decrease and another MIDI pad for resetting the speed back to 100%.

Is there a list of all of the control urls and what they do somewhere? Most of them look pretty self-explanatory, but not all.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:17 am

Excellent. There is a list in menu Help / OSC Channels List but there not much documentation neither.
    If you have questions on some urls let us know !