Smooth video playback ?
    Just_Deweak

Smooth video playback ?

by Just_Deweak » Sat May 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I can’t have a smooth playback with H264 files or generated textures or anything going out of MM, does someone has a clue ?

Here is my setup :
    MSI laptop with 16GB Ram and a Nvidia RTX2060 chipset

Graphics card set to 50Hz to match the 1080p @ 50 EDID from my Barco E2 high-end switching system (feeding a LED wall and LCD screens, all set to 50 Hz).

With H.264 MP4 files encoded at 10Mbps at 25 or 50fps, MM is unusable since playback isn’t smooth at all. Locally (on my computer’s screen), I can have a smooth playback, though.

Same issue with the FHD @ 50Hz outputs of my Matrox triple head DP...

Hardware acceleration on media has no positive effect. My graphics driver are up to date, and forcing MM to start on the NVidia (Windows defaults it to the Intel UHD internal processor) has no effect.

I’m a bit puzzled since I’d like to use MM as a light substitute for a Modulo Pi system sometimes, and this lag doesn’t make it a valid alternative...
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Smooth video playback ?

by mad-matt » Mon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm

That's weird. On a basic machine you're supposed to be able to run many fullHD h264 smoothly.
    Are all of your screens at 50 Hz or do you have one at 60Hz and the output at 50 Hz ?
    Did you tweak any setting in nVidia Control Panel ?
    Could you try with MadMapper 3.7.0 Beta 2 (available from yourspace) ?
    Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Mon May 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks Matt,

Yes this is weird... This is what I did to try to solve this problem :

- deactivating the Intel 630 UHD to run the system and MadMapper on te NVidia : no effect
    - installing the last drivers for the Intel graphics chipset& Nvidia : no effect
    - deactivating the video output and go fullscreen on ma laptop's screen : no effect
    - playing 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p versions of my test video : no effect
    - doing the same with the Beta : no effect

What I noticed is that unlike with my previous laptop, I can't force the laptop's screen to 50 Hz to have everything running at this rate (the configuration tool refuses to create acustum resolution at this rate, too). But anyway, when this graphics processor is deactivated only the NVidia is running, and it's locked to 50Hz so it should be ok...

The preview window looks smoother than the output in most cases, though, and as the laptop's screen runs only at 60Hz, I think there an issue with dual graphics boards systems like most of laptops equipped with an Intel board + a dedicated graphic card...

Do you need more information ?
    Last edited by Just_Deweak on Mon May 13, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Mon May 13, 2019 5:13 pm

... something nice would be to be able to force Madmapper at its own internal rate, not following the system's one.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 pm

I will request more testing with multi screen & different frequencies. Generally we try to run everything at 60Hz, but in production workflow you might be blocked with a 25 FPS video production. Recompressing the movie at 30 Hz with a video editing software and a high quality frame blending is generally an option, but anyway MadMapper is supposed to handle it properly. MadMapper engine will run at the frequency of the first activated projector in the list.
    You can display the FPS using
    Windows, in Cmd.exe: REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Garagecube\MadMapper /f /v logFPS /t REG_SZ /d 1
    macOS, in Terminal.app: defaults write com.garagecube.MadMapper logFPS 1
    And restart MadMapper.

Do you have a single projector ? What FPS is MadMapper showing ?
    I suppose CPU/GPU usage is very low if you just play a single movie ?
    Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your help !

My laptop is connected to a Barco E2 system with 1080p@50Hz EDID. This is a setup we're using daily in corporate events since as the broadcast cameras run at 50Hz in France, every element in the video chain is based on this 25 (or 50) images / second basis...

The fps while offline is 60fps when I'm playing a generator and 50fps when I'm playing my 50fps test movie. GL time is around 0.3ms and CPU 0.0ms

When I go online the fps moves between 49fps and 50fps when playing generators and is almost fix at 50fps when playing my test movie. GL time is a bit lower, around 0.1ms, and CPU is still around 0ms

I notice that when switching from one media to another in the same quad, the fps transitions between the media's (or generator's) fps to the output's 50fps.

If it can help, here are my test files : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x23w9doscizf ... XHGLa?dl=0

(Diagonal motion with black and white stripes rendered at 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps)
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 am

try to run gpu-z at the same time, and let us know your gpu usage, fan speed , etc ....
    0.1 gltime means your gfx card has plenty of room for power hungry scenarios, since the total budget per frame at 60fps is 16.6 (ms)
    Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 am

Yep this MSI laptop must be comfortable with heavy scenarios...

Right now I'm playing 4 quads with my 50fps test movie, and the GLtime is still 0.4ms. Here are the logs from GPU-Z :

Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 am

@franz is this enough for you to know what’s going wrong, or do you need more information ?
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Sat May 18, 2019 1:50 pm

gpu load is 36%, so you're actually using it , that's good.
    what's your cpu reading with the same movie playing ?
    Just_Deweak

by Just_Deweak » Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am

Sorry for the late answer, I didn"t have a notification...

When playing, my GPU load remains almost the same.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm

i've tested one of your files on my computer - 60fs FHD - , it runs super fluid.

Please try to use the latest Nvidia STUDIO drivers (not the game ready)
    As a sidenote, for windows laptops try to avoid optimus or MaxQ chipsets, always prefer a single dedicated gfx card. Ideally, test the computer before buying it.
  • Wieger

by Wieger » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi All,

I just bought MadMapper so I'm new to the software. It's really easy to use and it has lot's of options.. perfect! But...
    I'm noticing too I cannot seem to have smooth playback. Not by using spout, not by using the generated materials and not by using refreshrate-native HAP encoded video files. Even without having any projectors connected, using just the main computer screen.

I hope someone can help..

I run MadMapper 3.7.0 on Windows 10 1903.
    I've tested the software on a HP z440 workstation (xeon E5-1650 v4) with NVidia Quadro p4000 graphics and on a Lenovo Thinkpad P52 (i7 8850H) with Nvidia Quadro P2000 graphics.. always using the latest stable drivers and the same problem is present on both machines.

I usually use Touchdesigner for my projects, which has really superb playback on both machines.. not one framedrop or hiccup.

When i output the smooth playback from touchdesigner to madmapper using spout.. Madmapper is showing hiccups.. almost like a refreshrate problem.. but the generated materials are showing the exact same hiccups as well. CPU and GPU usage is very low so it's not a performance issue.

I discovered (by using the registry entry to show fps) that madmapper was running at 60fps on the 60hz screen. But when i set the screen to 50hz.. and restarted madmapper.. it's says it's still running at 60fps. So does that mean madmapper isn't running at the refresh rate of the first attached projector? but at an internal 60hz which maybe not the exact same timing as the projector?

Am i missing something?

All the best
    Wieger
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Hi,
    That's weird. MadMapper runs at the frequency of the screen attached to the first active projector in the projector list (the top one in the projectors list view)
    What's your projectors configuration ?
    Cheers
  • Wieger

by Wieger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Mad-Matt

Thanks for replying

For testing right now, i use an Eizo CG247 (1920x1200) monitor that can be set to 60hz or 50hz (and a lot of other options), it is the only screen attached to the workstation computer.

Or i can use the screen of my laptop (1920x1080) wich can only run at 60hz.. Or attach the Eizo to my laptop and set that one as first projector.
    But in any way.. there's no real smooth video playback.. It can be for a while sometimes.. but sooner or later i start noticing choppy frames

For me it's easily noticeble when importing fluid motion graphics from touchdesigner to madmapper by using spout..
    Or using the 'Line anim' material in Madmapper itself (or another fluid motion where framedrops are easily noticed).. The stutters don't seem to appear random. Right now I'm using the eizo screen at 60hz.. And I see stuttering every second or so.. Therefore i thought it might be a refreshrate issue..

all the best
    w