Flickering issue using MadMapper + Teensy
  • Toninho

Flickering issue using MadMapper + Teensy

by Toninho » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

Hello everybody,

I'm currently facing big flickering issues when using Madmapper and teensy to control strips with more than 50 leds.

My setup :

- 44 x 11 (484 pixels) WS2812B led matrix
    - Teensy 3.2
    - Madmapper 3.7.1/ windows 10
    - 20A 5V power supply

I followed "MadMapper USB to LED Tutorial" and I'm currently able to play animations on my led matrix but there is a big flickering on all the leds.

I tried to reduce the number of leds and when decreasing to 50 I can play simple animations, change the color, etc without any flickering.

Questions :

- On the tutorial it is written that a Mac is needed but nothing about PC, do you think there good be specific issue on the serial transmission with PC ?

- Do the "MadLED protocol" changed since the specifications were written ? I tried to control only one led and I decoded the signal with an oscilloscope.
    I read 0xFF for the packet header as specified, but for the packet MAD_LED_DATA i got 0xDF but not 0xBE.
    Also, when I change the RGB value of the pixel I can see the 3 last packets changing but the maximum value is 0xFF and not 0xFE.

I you have any idea of how to solve my problem or any question to make it more precise feel free to ask :)

Thank you very much in advance !! :D
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Flickering issue using MadMapper + Teensy

by mad-matt » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 am

There was no PC version at the time this feature was written. It seems that the data being written to the serial port is not transmitted properly... You can try to change the baudrate of the serial port from MadMapper preferences. Does it help ?
  • Toninho

Re: Flickering issue using MadMapper + Teensy

by Toninho » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Sorry for the late answer, I've been quite busy this last weeks but I'll now fully dedicate my time to make Madmapper work with teensy !

It seems that the data being written to the serial port is not transmitted properly
    - > I totally agree with you, I checked the device monitor in the preferences menu, the value of each pixel is consistent with the animation I'm playing, but still my led matrix is flickering and some random colors appears on every pixels...

You can try to change the baudrate of the serial port from MadMapper preferences.
    -> I tried others values like 500k, 1M, 2M, 6M, etc, my problem still remains the same

I also tried to change from teensy 3.2 to 3.6 but it doesn't make any difference.

Sorry but I do not have some much clues to help you understand my problem...maybe you have others ideas on how to solve it ?

Thank you very much