ARTNET broadcast 4U node , problem
  • redkap

ARTNET broadcast 4U node , problem

by redkap » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:28 am

hi, i have this artnet node card from electroconcept https://www.boutique-electroconcept.com ... e-artnet-e… , and i have a problem that appears only with madmapper, if i config madmpper with creating fixtures, masking them or making them appear , or even change unicast assignment or changes dmx output, it doesn t work anymore and the card only gets signal on univers 0 ( spi1) and spi 2 and 3 don t work anymore . i have to reboot madmapper. ( tested with 370 and 371) tried unicast or broadcast... but the masking fixtures makes the card still go crazy

in broadcast , if i send one fixture on U0, and 2 others on U1 and 02 , my card is prog to get U0 on SPI1 , U1 on SPI2, and U2 on SPI3, if i mask my fixtures, all get wrong. and signal only works on SPI1. ( with arena , all is fine )

I thought the card had a problem but if create "lumiverses " in arena , and hide them and recreate them, the card is working very good indeed. (broadcasting)

i also tested with luminet

what can be different in madmapper that makes this card go crazy as long as i change dmx order or assignment,

if my config is done, the card works good if i relaunch madmapper.

(En francais je m en sors mieux .)
    Macbook Pro / Mid 2014 13' / 8go ram

Hackintosh I5 / 32go Ram / GTX 960- 4GO / El capitan. / Matrox triplehead2G0 SE / ARTNET 16 univers SJ-16 / LED strips 60l/m : total : 55m
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: ARTNET broadcast 4U node , problem

by mad-matt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:14 pm

I think the problem comes from their implementation of ArtSync. MadMapper sends the ArtSync packet by default, after having sent the packets for all universes which changed, following the ArtNet specifications. Maybe it works with Arena because they have not implemented ArtSync. For information ArtSync is a packet introduced in ArtNet 4 specification to synchronize multiple universes.
    Imagine you have 10 LED strips connected to the same LED controller and you want a stroboscope effect over all of them, the LED controller might send the signal (WS2911/WS2812/APA/DMX...) while it received the last packet MadMapper sent for universe 1 but not for universe 2, then your stroboscope will be screwed up. That's why we implemented the ArtSync.
    I already heard some devices did a wrong implementation of ArtSync. Since it's new and not many applications implemented it, the quality is not already there.
    What you can do is to force MadMapper to always send packets for all universes that have been used, even if the universe has not been changed (ArtNet specification says we should send at least one packet each 4 seconds, by default MadMapper does each 0.5 seconds - for compatibility with some hardware) You can change that. Just set the min & max ArtNet FPS to 40 this way:

On macOS, in Terminal.app:
    defaults write com.garagecube.MadMapper artNetOutputMaxFps 40
    defaults write com.garagecube.MadMapper artNetOutputMinFps 40
    On Window<s, in Cmd.exe=
    REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Garagecube\MadMapper /f /v artNetOutputMaxFps /t REG_SZ /d 40
    REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Garagecube\MadMapper /f /v artNetOutputMinFps /t REG_SZ /d 40

Then restart MadMapper. Does it solve your issue ?
    If yes, please contact the manufacturer to tell the ArtSync implementation should accept that the emitter does send packets for all universes but only for changed universes...
  • redkap

Re: ARTNET broadcast 4U node , problem

by redkap » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:30 pm

hi, matt , thks for fast answer, i tried the terminl command to limit to 40 fps , but it doesn t solve the problem.

ALSO , as my ledstrips starts at channel 4
    ( dont know why, probably this card another problem , dont comment :(, )

As you explained that the problem is that there is no infos on U0 while there are on U1, i created a black pixel on channel 1 of U0, it seems to keep a signal while a deactivate my CH4 to CH274 fixture.

i ll tell the makers for this card that is a ARTNET 4 problem with ARTSYNC, thks U for helping identifying my problem.
    Macbook Pro / Mid 2014 13' / 8go ram

Hackintosh I5 / 32go Ram / GTX 960- 4GO / El capitan. / Matrox triplehead2G0 SE / ARTNET 16 univers SJ-16 / LED strips 60l/m : total : 55m