Teensy Multi Line behaving erratically
  • cloose

Teensy Multi Line behaving erratically

by cloose » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:56 am

Hello, I have been working with using a teensy to drive a fairly small LED installation, somewhere under 1000 LEDS. I have been trying to get the multi-line example from the MadMapper_LED_Tutorial working.

Everything behaves as expected when using only one line at a time, but when both are activated, it seems like the two lines are interacting with each other. The best way to understand the problem is by watching this short video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D66FPnNDWSScL5zA6

Here are my fixtures:

Here's my usb routing:

I am close to just buying another teensy, but I would rather not use two USB ports.

I have seen another user with the same problem here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9823&p=30028&hilit=teensy#p30028

Any help would be much appreciated, I had experienced this problem with the demo version of MadMapper and I hoped purchasing the full version would solve the problem. Still stuck and very mad at madmapper! :roll:
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Teensy Multi Line behaving erratically

by mad-matt » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:58 am

Don't bother with teensies if you have a serious setup to do. Get a real pixel controller (Advatek Pixlite, Falcon, Enttec Pixie Driver...)
    It's not expansive, safe, reliable, debuggable...
    If you want to keep on using teensy, you can try to increase the baudrate of the usb serial port by entering the setup of your teensy in MadMapper preferences.
  • cloose

by cloose » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:42 pm

It appears that the baud rate is set to 4000000 by default in the MadMapper Preferences. The sketch provided had the baud rate set to 921500. I have tried both changing the value in preferences to 9152000, as well as updating the Teensy firmware to set it to 4000000. Neither seemed to fix this problem. I will keep trying to get this working, as the big reason I bought MadMapper was because of the advertised teensy support. It did say it was for smaller installations, but I thought that my project (750 leds) would fall under that category.

I have found this controller, do you think it would be a reasonable step up from a teensy?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000105574296.html
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:49 pm

Don't bother with teensies if you have a serious setup to do. Get a real pixel controller (Advatek Pixlite, Falcon, Enttec Pixie Driver...)
    It's not expansive, safe, reliable, debuggable...
    If you want to keep on using teensy, you can try to increase the baudrate of the usb serial port by entering the setup of your teensy in MadMapper preferences.
  • cloose

by cloose » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:45 am

Did you mean to post the same reply?
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

to me it looks like a teensie issue: you're pushing too many pixels for the hardware.
    A teensie is ok for 100-200 leds, as far as i remember, but not much more.

You could test this by using a single long line strip, adding more and more pixels on the go, and see when
    it breaks down and is not fluid anymore.

I'd suggest you to by a proper LED controller such as advatek pixlite...

The one controller you suggested https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000105574296.html
    looks only semi-descent: it is cheap, but is it reliable ?.