HDMI MATRIX TO MADMAPPER
  • MarcVilanova

HDMI MATRIX TO MADMAPPER

by MarcVilanova » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Hello all, I hope you can help me with a little problem here:

I’m working on a theater production where I need to do some mapping on stage. I purchased MadMapper and I’m working with two projectors in order to cover the full stage. I also purchased an HDMI matrix (Portta® 4x4 HDMI™ Matrix HDMI 2.0) to connect both projectors to my Mac Book Pro.

I’m connecting one hdmi cable from my computer to the first input of the matrix and two protectors on the first two outputs of the matrix and I select the patching: input 1 to output 1 and 2. When I’m in MadMapper, and I create two projectors, as an output device I can only select: MATRIX 4 x 4, but not each projector individually…

When I select “MATRIX 4 x 4” as an output I see the same image duplicated in both projectors and I want to be able to send a different signal to each of them.

One solution I’m thinking is to buy a second usb-c/hdmi adaptor so I can come out of my computer with two hdmi for the two first inputs of the matrix, but is there going to be any difference between going through the matrix or going directly from my computer to the projectors? Does it increase the quality of image? If I go straight from my laptop, would my MacBook Pro handle that?
    Is there any possibility to select each projector individually on MadMapper with my matrix connected?

Thank you very much for your help,
  • vjacobs

Re: HDMI MATRIX TO MADMAPPER

by vjacobs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 am

Hi,

The Portta device you're using is merely a switching device. This lets you cross connect any HDMI input to any HDMI output, as a matrix. But you're only connecting one input, your computer. I think you expected it to work as a USB hub, which is not the case.

For your project, you would need a device such as a Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE. This device will enumerate itself to your computer having a doubled horizontal resolution (e.g. 3840 x 1080) through the Displayport input. This would then be split out to 2x 1920 x 1080 on its DVI outputs. You can then create two Projectors in MadMapper, one for each output.