Scaling and Calibrating multiple obj. Layers/Groups at once- 3D mapping wokflow
  • BugsBencer

Scaling and Calibrating multiple obj. Layers/Groups at once- 3D mapping wokflow

by BugsBencer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:52 am

Hi Guys,

first of all big props to your awesome software.

I am planning to create a stage mapping show in mad mapper.
    The stage contains 3 Triangle sidescrims and 4 curved half cylinder tanks on risers in the back area of the stage,
    I devided the stage and it´s projectable elements as single 3d objects, all with the same center coordinates (i put 3 mini suares as reference anchor in the space of my models, that all have the same room coordinates) and put them back together as „layered model“ in mad mapper:
    All 3d Objects are organized into subgroups. Via Midi control for axis rotation (all objects same controllers) to rotate the complete composition at once to the desired perspectives.

This Layer based 3d setup seems perfect to create simulate my actual mapping content in the given 3d space by copying/layering my 3d groups (wich would be just the normnal workflow with quads and 2d surfaces).

But there are the big Problems, wich i hope someone can solve:
    1. I can’t scale multiple selected 3d surfaces at once, to fit my model to the projector size(s)! (With normal Quads this is still working!)
    2. CALIBRATION of Multiple 3D Objects: I found no way to calibrate several 3d objects at once, this would be crucial. It can’t be the way to calibrate hundreds of different layers in different cues all individually when setting up a show.
    Do i miss something here?

3. For the Show i plann to work with 3-5 projectors from different angles.
    (One- separate for the flat Backdrop Video- as back projection, 2- 4 Projectors in a 40° angle from the front sides, covering each half of the stage surfaces (triangles, tanks) with a soft edge blending in the middle.)

Would that mean to duplicatey of my final 3d compositions/layer groups for each projector separately, rotated and calibrated to its individual point of view? There is no such thing as "virtual projectors" like in Watchout, were you simply place your porjectors in 3d, where the would be in the real environment, to prepare and setup you scene. SO THIS MIGHT BE THE ONLY "workaround" for projecting an obejct from multiple different angles, right?

I am stuck here. Please help!

Thank you!
    Attachments
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-29 um 11.53.43.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-29 um 11.53.43.png (296.78 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-29 um 11.54.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-29 um 11.54.22.png (352.44 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: Scaling and Calibrating multiple obj. Layers/Groups at once- 3D mapping wokflow

by franz » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:59 am

There's no support for objects group calibration.
    I think you should merge all your objects into one mesh with unwarped UV coordiantes,
    and calibrate your scene 1 time for each projector. Then do some manual masking in case the projectors overlap.

We're thinking on an alternative in the future, where one would calibrate a proxy mesh to get the right camera position,
    then use the camera for a more detailed 3d scene. No ETA tho'.