Teensy 3.2 with WS2811 LEDs
  • sean.mallon

Teensy 3.2 with WS2811 LEDs

by sean.mallon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to operate a teensy microcontroller with led strips over artnet with madmapper. I've followed all instructions found at this link-
    https://madmapper.com/arduino-led-strip ... apper-2-1/

This method seems to be very tried and tested with madmapper but I have come to an issue I can't get around in that madmapper sees the teensy but is then coming out with an error message saying- "Failed to start artnet interface on selected network interface. The artnet port might be exclusively opened in another application."
    I have tried using different ports, different teensys and with no other software running that might interfere with the teensy and I can't think what else might be causing this issue.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!

Set up-
    Windows 10
    NVIDIA Quadro P1000
    Madmapper3.7.6
    Teensy 3.2
    WS2811 LED strips
    OctoWS2811 Adaptor
    Attachments
    Screenshot (155).png
    Screenshot (155).png (64.81 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
    Screenshot (154).png
    Screenshot (154).png (59.08 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
  • spectral_flux

Re: Teensy 3.2 with WS2811 LEDs

by spectral_flux » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Hey man,

sorry for the stupid question but are you closing de teensy IDE after loading your code and firing madmapper up?
  • sean.mallon

by sean.mallon » Fri May 01, 2020 12:24 pm

Hey!
    Thanks for responding. Yep, I have tried that.
  • MrBen85

by MrBen85 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi Sean,

When i select my wifi connection, i dont get that error message. But it does not matter for me if i select a lan network and get the error message. It still works either way. I think its because its broadcasting via the usb port rather than network, so i usually select a lan network here just to not send any unnecessary data on the wifi.

So if your having problems of it not working... i dont think this is the part thats stopping it from working. (but i could be wrong)
  • sean.mallon

by sean.mallon » Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am

Hi MrBen84!

Thank you very much! This really helped! I have it working now and you were right, it works despite the error message. I had tried even though I was getting this message but it meant that I started focussing my troubleshooting in the wrong direction.

For anyone who may be interested - I ran fastled-simple-test.ino, got this working on my strip, moved on to fastled-serial-only-single-line.ino and adapted appropriately. At this point, with new code running, the strip should have gone from the white of the test to black as no artnet data was yet being broadcasted. I clicked on the serial monitor to see why it hadn't switched over or if I could glean anything from it. At this point the strip went off meaning that it was now doing as it should have been according to the sketch. It shouldn't be the case that the serial monitor has to be clicked for it to work but either way it's working now and picking up artnet data from madmapper.

Thanks again!
  • MrBen85

by MrBen85 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 pm

Very glad to hear this Sean! Good stuff.

May i ask how many leds you got it working on? Im just about to give up here and move on to something else to tinker with :)