Videos running slow in Output
  • tontechnik

Videos running slow in Output

by tontechnik » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:18 am

Hey Matt,
    if Windows loses connection to any connected working monitor / projectors - even if they're not active as projectors in MM, played videos are running slow on other outputs in full screen mode.
    Is there any chance to fix that? :-)
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Videos running slow in Output

by mad-matt » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:59 am

I suppose that's because:
    - the disconnected screen is set as the "Main Display" in Windows preferences and
    - you have 2 GPUs and after disconnecting this screen the Main Display is moved to another GPU
    Is that possible ?
    That would mean MadMapper engine is running on a GPU and moved to another, and memory has to be transferred from one to another, which in some cases can be dramatic for performances.
    We recommand using a unique GPU with splitters if you want more than 4 outputs. In my tests with multiple GPUs on PC I found no issue but there are so many hardware & driver versions or possible installed software (especially gamer softwares to stream game session) interfering with OpenGL & Direct3D that we cannot guarantee anything.
    If you're using an nVidia GPU, you can install the "studio drivers" which don't have the optimizations for specific games but which are more reliable.
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:29 pm

- the disconnected screen is set as the "Main Display" in Windows preferences
    No, it's just an extended Display. Madmapper is running on the "Main Display"
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:32 pm

- you have 2 GPUs and after disconnecting this screen the Main Display is moved to another GPU
    Is that possible ?
    No, there is only one GPU running: AMD Radeon Pro W5700...
    And we don't have any "Gamer Software" installed. It's a professional PC-System only for Videomapping.
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Hey Matt,
    now we are having more and more issues with slow running videos on both setups (attached as zip).
    Even if we are not in full screen mode, working on madmapper only, fps are dropping to 0 shortly if we open another application/program/browser/settings/whatever. Same in full screen mode. Also we tested others verion numbers, it's always the same. We also tested the behavior of madmapper generatos etc instead of using videos, they also run slow :-/
    Any ideas? :-)
    Attachments
    PC.zip
    (14.1 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Any ideas?
    Yes. First, update your graphics card drivers. If you're with an nVidia, you can instal the "studio driver" which is more reliable than the gaming driver: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... /147985/fr
    If it doesn't help:

1- What GPU is MadMapper runnning on ? You can see that in Preferences / Engine. On Windows, MadMapper will use the GPU attached to the "Main Display" in Windows display settings. Be sure to set the main display where your good GPU is (if you have multiple)
    2- If you're on Windows, is it using Direct3D for display ? If so please try to switch to OpenGL to see if it helps.
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 am

we're using amd radeon pro w5700, drivers up to date. mm is also using this one as engine.
    and we also tried to switch between openGL and direct3d, no difference. re-installing + cleaning registry has also been done. then we tried using ffmpeg/chunks etc, also no difference :-/
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Can you PM me a downoad link for such a video ? (you can export one minute instead of the whole movie if it's too big)
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:49 pm

sure, 3 videos in we transfer :-)
    one video file, which we used as an example
    one where you can see how madmapper behaves in full scren mode using this video
    and one where only a generator in desktop mode is in use

https://we.tl/t-jkXdFwHLho

somehow our sent messages only appear in outbox :-/
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Sorry, i'm too late to download the file. Please use a support ticket to get a serious follow up. I don't know why notifications are not more working with my forum account, I'll check that.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:50 am

on windows, you either need to output fullscreen or have a desktop window projector.
    without any of these, your framerate might drop to 40 depending on your configuration.