Curved/bezier for DMX fixtures?
  • awdesign

Curved/bezier for DMX fixtures?

by awdesign » Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 am

I'm working on a project that includes quite a bit of LED mapping using flexible pixel strips, and none of the shapes I need to map are straight or arcs, they are all complex curves. I have an SVG of the shapes I need to map, but the SVGs contain paths instead of lines. I'm able to use the SVG just fine as a "line" surface, but it won't import into the Lighting module and the only options I have to create fixtures are lines and circles/arcs.

I'm using MadMapper 5.3. Is there a way to create DMX fixtures that curve? Such as making a line and using a bezier? I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this other than creating a ton of oddly sized arcs and fiddling with the positioning and pixel count for each arc only to get it somewhat close.

If there's not a feature built in that can do this, it would be hugely helpful for complex LED installations with strange shapes.

Thanks in advance!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Curved/bezier for DMX fixtures?

by mad-matt » Tue May 23, 2023 2:54 pm

This is not actually possible. Some people do pixel per pixel using the LED scanner, but if you have thousands of pixels, it might be hard to re-adjust or work with all those objects. Also thousands of fixtures will make performances bad depending on your GPU.
    In most case we don't map the media to the geometric disposition of a LED strip but we use some content that goes over the strip, so a line fits most of the cases. But we consider the option to make bezier path for MadLight in the future, which would be good to have a better representation of what's going on on the stage/place, or to have an artists creating a movie with all content matching the real-world placing of elements.
    Thanks for the feedback!