I killed my Madmapper software...HELP!
  • dnelson7

I killed my Madmapper software...HELP!

by dnelson7 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:37 pm

Hello!

I've been trying to learn how to write my own shaders in Madmapper. I bought a few books and looked at books online. I was following thecode on this site https://thebookofshaders.com/02/ and now madmapper won't open. I deleted the .plist file, but it still won't open, it just hangs and I need to do a force quit. The steps I followed were...

1. open code editor
    2. delete the code for the default shader
    3. copy paste this code...
    #ifdef GL_ES
    precision mediump float;
    #endif

uniform float u_time;

void main() {
    gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0,0.0,1.0,1.0);
    }
    this code threw an error so I deleted it and started the process over again. I finally was able to get the code to work by simply copying this line vec4(1.0,0.0,1.0,1.0) but then the software hung and now I can't open it.

I've been searching for a madmapper book or tutorial that goes through the process of how to write shaders specifically in madmapper but I can't find anything. I followed this tutorial but the code doesn't work either https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKQ1fDIFd9M. I found a random site that taught the same technique and the error on line 31 was commented out. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing so if someone can please help me fix my software and point me to a book or tutorial that teaches how to write MadMapper shaders SPECIFICALLY for madmapper, from the ground up, I'd greatly appreciate it!
  • humanaute

Re: I killed my Madmapper software...HELP!

by humanaute » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Hello,
    First, contact madmapper support team at support (at) garagecube (dot) com

In MM Help memu, there is a doc name "realtime reactive visuals" related to your YouTube link and explain what to do to adapt GLSL code un MM editor.
  • dnelson7

by dnelson7 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:34 pm

ok thanks for the help
  • dnelson7

by dnelson7 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:56 pm

I fixed the problem. For anyone else who has a similar issue, this is how I fix the problem.

IMPORTANT***IF YOU SAVED MM FILES AFTER YOUR CRASH, MOVE THEM TO AN EXTERNAL HD OR DELETE THEM FROM YOUR COMPUTER. IF YOU HAVE MICROSOFT ONEDRIVE RUNNING AND IT'S BACKING UP YOUR FILES, PAUSE IT AND LOG OUT PRIOR TO GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS!!!

1. If you're on a Mac navigate to your home folder and go to your library folder. If the library folder is "hidden", click anywhere in the window and hit...SHIFT...COMMAND...PERIOD(.) to show hidden folders.

Once you see the Library folder...

2. Open the "Application Support" folder and scroll down and delete the "GarageCube" folder.

3. Next, go back up to the Library folder directory and scroll down and find the "Preferences" folder. Scroll down and delete the "com.garagecube.MadMapper.plist" file.

Normally, that should do the trick, but, I had to take a few extra steps...

4. Go to you home folder and find the "Documents" folder. You will find a Madmapper folder here, delete it.

5. Restart your computer.

This worked for me when MM hung on startup. HTH you!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:21 am

I suppose the OpenGL driver was crashing with some code. I saw it in a bunch of crash reports. We can't deal with that, except by creating an external process with an OpenGL context where to compile the shader and see if this process crashes, that would require some work.
    Out team is working with shaders a lot and we don't encounter those problems, but of course we know shaders since a while. But drivers should not crash when compiling invalid code, that's an issue in Apple openGL driver.
    There's a simplest way to solve, just go to your MadMapper workspace folder and move the folder of the Material/FX you were working on out of the workspace (or delete it)
  • dnelson7

by dnelson7 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:58 pm

ok thanks for the reply. Since I'm a newbie using shaders and madmapper, I wasn't sure how to fix the issue without nuking the whole computer. I'll keep your msg in mind if the issue occurs again.