Device Activity module
  • NiceTrip

Device Activity module

by NiceTrip » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:50 am

Hello,

Are there instructions posted anywhere that describe how to use the Device Activity module?

I would like to program MadMapper so that if there is no input from the MIDI controller for 30 seconds, then autoplay a given bank, starting from a given scene or cue. Is that possible?

Thank you
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Device Activity module

by mad-matt » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:42 am

Hio,
    Once you created the module, setup the timeout and right click a cue or scene and add a Control with the module "Timeout" channel, see screenshot.
    Cheers
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 08.42.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 08.42.00.png (192.75 KiB) Viewed 377 times
  • NiceTrip

by NiceTrip » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:31 am

Thanks for replying, Matt!

I tried adding that control to the Scene I want to auto-play from, but did not get the results I'm hoping for. I'm confused about what the Device Activity and Idle Cue modules are supposed to do. Maybe a better approach to understanding is to describe what I want to do, and ask if you could tell me the best way to do it.

I have a projection mapping installation with two softwares, MadMapper, for running an automated sequence of Scenes and Cues, and Resolume, for audience members to play with via a wireless MIDI controller. Resolume is configured to send its output to Syphon, which is received by one of the Scenes in Madmapper.

What I want to happen is to have Madmapper on Autoplay, going through its scenes and cues. If a user presses any MIDI button, then I want MadMapper to play the Scene that has Syphon associated with it (1-1 in my screenshot), to display the Resolume output. If there are no MIDI signals for 30 seconds, it should go back to the auto-play of scenes and cues in MadMapper, starting at 1-2 or random.

How can I do this? Thanks again! 🙏 🌻
    Attachments
    mm-screen.jpg
    mm-screen.jpg (426.62 KiB) Viewed 358 times
  • NiceTrip

by NiceTrip » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:20 am

Hio,
    Once you created the module, setup the timeout and right click a cue or scene and add a Control with the module "Timeout" channel, see screenshot.
    Cheers
    Hello again, I tried what you said and this is what happens. I took these steps:

1. I right-clicked on the Scene in column 2, row 1, Add Control -> MadMapper -> Device Activity -> Output -> Timeout. The bottom panel UI changes from the Scenes/Cues view to the Control List view, with a slider between True and False - no idea what that means, so I left it as default. On the left-side panel under Device Activity, I changed the Timeout value to the 10 seconds.

2. I switch back to the Scenes/Cues view, and press a MIDI button that is mapped to the scene in column 1, row 1, which shows the Syphon Output. When I pressed the MIDI button, the Timeout value under Device Activity in the left panel begins rapidly incrementing from 10 seconds, back to its default of 3600.

3. I wait, and watch the Log under Device Activity in the left panel count the seconds from the last input. It goes right past 10 and continues counting, and nothing else happens.

4. I changed the Timeout value in the left panel under Device Activity back to 10. When I do this, Ta-Da! It automatically plays the scene in column 2, row 1 -- which is what I wanted it to do by itself, at 10 seconds after the last MIDI input.

Every time it switches to a scene, the Device Activity Timeout in the left panel changes back to 3600 seconds, and nothing happens at 10 seconds. When I manually change the Timeout value, it executes the control -- even if I do that before the counter gets to 10.

I discovered that I can also assign controls to the Autoplay button, which is what I want, so I removed the Device Activity control from the scene and added it to the Autoplay button, again setting Timeout to 10 seconds, but same result. Nothing happens after 10 seconds of no MIDI input. If I manually update the Timeout on the left from 3600 to 10, Autoplay starts.

I tried playing with the sliders and the Toggle checkbox in the Control List view, but changing any of those values makes it not start at all, even when I manually adjust the Timeout value in the Device Activity module panel.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, another question: is there a way to do two things when any MIDI input is received? When any MIDI button is pressed, I'd like it to turn OFF Autoplay, and switch to a particular Scene.

Thanks very much for your support!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:42 pm

That's because the scene also stores modules parameters. Just change the timeout inside the scene (from the cue inspector), see snapshot
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12.41.23.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12.41.23.png (123.16 KiB) Viewed 322 times
  • NiceTrip

by NiceTrip » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:05 pm

I am trying to add the Device Activity Timeout to the Autoplay button now, not a Scene. But thanks - this tip led me to figure out how to make it work. I was still getting the same behaviour when I tested, as you suggested, on a Scene. Then I realized I can add a new Device Activity module, with an updated time. I did that and added it to the Autoplay button, and now it works as expected. 🎉

Is there a way to turn OFF Autoplay and switch to a particular scene, when any MIDI input is received? I could create a copy of the scene for each of the ~70 MIDI controls, but hopefully there is a better way. And even that won't work unless there's a way to simultaneously assign each MIDI input to both a scene and "Autoplay OFF".

Thanks again! 🙏
  • NiceTrip

by NiceTrip » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:31 am

Is there a way to turn OFF Autoplay and switch to a particular scene, when any MIDI input is received? I could create a copy of the scene for each of the ~70 MIDI controls, but hopefully there is a better way. And even that won't work unless there's a way to simultaneously assign each MIDI input to both a scene and "Autoplay OFF".
    It looks like this simple server can listen for MIDI (with a passthru option), and execute javascript to send OSC messages: https://github.com/gbevin/ReceiveMIDI/b ... ASCRIPT.md. I'll try that!

Unless anyone has other suggestions :).