Taking a show on the road (Newb Qs)
  • cevansroberts

Taking a show on the road (Newb Qs)

by cevansroberts » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello MadMappers,

I've recently put togeter my first performance with MadMapper:

https://vimeo.com/46275659

This was recorded in a controlled environment but I'd like to take this performance out on the road and have a few questions about the best way to go about this.

When setting this up in MadMapper I used multiple presets to switch the mapping around from Resolume (so if multiple sides of the boxes showed the same thing I didn't have to run several videos in Resolume but could just map them from the same video e.g.:

So as you can see I had a preset for every section of the song which I switched using the Midi function in MadMapper. The problem came when between the setup and the performance some idiot (me) knocked the projector and I had to remap the output of every preset. Is there a way to copy and paste the output mapping only of each preset?

I can imagine this being a problem performing live too. It took ages to map the output 17 times and I wouldn't want to have to do this before every gig.So ideally I'd like to setup, take my MadMapper project, remap the output of one preset and copy it to all the other presets.

Another issue I foresee is the ambient light levels. During the performance above, the ambient light levels in the room were very very low, even then the projection wasn't that bright. The gear used probably wasn't the best, a 2500 lumen NEC projector, projecting onto plain white cardboard boxes.

What should I be looking to use in terms of projector power for small/medium sized venues (any suggestions would be good to) and would painting the boxes in projector paint etc improve the quality in higher ambient light conditions etc.

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Chris