Madmapper LED Control with KingDMX edmx1
  • studebaker

by studebaker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 am

I'm posting this to help anyone else who might be having trouble, I finally solved the problems I'd been having and thought I'd contribute to the information on the web.

I'm not an expert, I know almost nothing about artnet, dmx, lighting and networking, but I did manage to eventually get it all working.

I was trying forever to control my led strip lights via edmx1 with Madmapper, but nothing seemed to be working.

First, I'd read somewhere that 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x are the addresses that are used for artnet, so I ended up using a window PC to access the edmx1's firmware to change it's IP address to a 2.x.x.x range. Doing this was a bit tricky because the PC couldn't access the firmware because the subnets weren't the same. I ended up having to manually set the IP v4 range of the network card and restarted the KingDMX software to gain access. Now that the IP was set to Artnet range, I reconnected the edmx1 to my mac.

In network settings, configure IPv4 'Manually' and set your IP address to 2.x.x.y so that the first three numbers of the IP of the edmx1 and your computer are the same. I used 2.10.36.183 on my computer and 2.10.36.182 on the edmx1 which was arbitrarily generated by the kingdmx setup software on the PC.

Subnet mask. I read a whole bunch of mixed information about what to set it to, but after talking with a technical friend, he said that many problems with connections to artnet are caused by the subnet being set to 255.255.0.0, which is incorrect, and the correct setting is 255.255.255.0

With these network settings, I tried to control the lights with a different piece of software on my mac, DMX-Artnet-Controller. It's quick and dirty, and I quickly managed to find out that my computer was speaking to the edmx1 and I was able to adjust lights individually.

Madmapper still wouldn't connect in unicast or broadcast mode, and it was getting very very frustrating.

So I ended up downloading Madmapper 1.6 beta, which has more options for tweaking addresses of lights.

In the Madmapper preferences, under the DMX output tab, set the DMX output device to ArtNet, the Interface to Ethernet (en0) and make sure the IP address matches the manually entered IP address from your network settings.

Check the 'Use Unicast' toggle switch on, and change the IP address of the Device in the table below to match the IP address of the edmx1. It is also possible to adjust this setting via the 'ArtNet Unicast routing table' window which is found in the tools menu. This setting option doesn't exist in Madmapper 1.5.3 yet.

In the fixture settings, Subnet and Universe should both be set to 0 as well.

I hope that this solves any issues anyone else might be facing as well.
  • brayhaw

Re: Madmapper LED Control with KingDMX edmx1

by brayhaw » Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Thank you very much! I spend 5 hours trying to use eDMX before find your instructions. It worked perfect! :D
    : :

Bray