madlight help, bad responce
  • texicwaste13

madlight help, bad responce

by texicwaste13 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Can someone help me with madlight? I can get the strips to respond only to on off info in madlight. They will dim and brighten ( the entire strip) but that is all. I noticed on the geodesic orb 1024 made for the 2013 mapping fest they were not using madmapper at all to control their orb, plus they were getting a lot of effects that are seemingly impossible with normal strips and madmapper. I cannot get lines to move on my strips, and using particles for my video input how can I get just parts of a single strip to light according to the placement of the fixture in madlight. i am assigning each strip to a channel and they just don't respond well to the video,they are just flickering the whole strip on and off and mostly at the wrong time. I am using 24 1 meter strips, one per channel. Someone asked in another post if they were using addressable strips to get the kind of effect they got on the orb, and replied they were not using addressable strips..So, my question is, how do I get more than just on/off effect per strip out of madlight. And,how do the lines work in madlight, help.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: madlight help, bad responce

by franz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 am

FYI, MadOrb was done using MadMapper and a syphoned quartz composer patch.
    MadOrb had 2 different kind of strips: the outer shell used single channel strips , and the inner shell used multi-channel strips.
  • texicwaste13

by texicwaste13 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 am

what are multi channel strips? is that the same as addressable? can you give some info on the quartz patch you made for the orb? what kind of dimmers did you use for the orb? how many universes? what are the limits of madlight without using special led strips and quartz patch?
  • texicwaste13

by texicwaste13 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:20 am

ok, I think i get it, you were using rgb ( multi channel, 1,2,3 equals rgb) strips, and that's why the video was in black and white. can I see what it looked like in color, it is so cool.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:54 pm

no we used WHITE LEDs, in 2 flavours
    - one pixel (address) per bar
    - 80 pixels per bar
  • texicwaste13

by texicwaste13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 pm

cool,glad it was white. Did you use the quartz patch to control the 80 pixel bars? and, I promise last question, were they pixel tape or hard led? I hope I'm not being a pest, but your work is so interesting that i just want to figure it out so i can experiment with some of the elements for my setup. mine is not geodesic but has a lot of angles and is semi complex, so to keep it from getting boring ( even though i can make a bunch of presets in MM) I am just trying to work in different things the pixels are doing. Your inner structure was eye melting. By the way, it is such a shame we never got your "boom box" in USA. it was the greatest.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 pm

ha, thanks for the positive comments !
    we used LED hard bars specially designed, everything was controlled from the same quartz patch.
    the overall shape in 3d was "sliced" in 2d planes which we used in quartz to align the DMX fixtures.
  • texicwaste13

by texicwaste13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:18 pm

brilliant, by using quartz patch you were able to " spin" your object in a 3d view using the planes as place mats, and you apply all your control inputs into the patch (?) allowing for the ps4 controller to effect the rotation and presets, while the audio analysis is in the patch. Also,by using the bars ( I assume you mean by specially designed, you used different length's of led bars) after the one channel dimmers, all you had to do was assign channels to them in your quartz map ( channel 64 for example may only have 62 pixels, where channel 65 may have 80, etc) so the direction is right without the need for excruciating placement. Do you guy's have a plan to implement a pixel map system in MM? It would be so cool to just count your pixels and place them on a map in the direction you want them to go to be effected by the video or other inputs in back of it. And, do you have any interest in incorporating a 3d view in Madlight as a Madlab invention?
    So honored to have you respond to my questions and comments Franz, you ARE a true genius. I have been showing your works to any and everyone who will listen and learn.
    cheers