MadMapper flicks or crash under Yosemite
  • Hutchi

MadMapper flicks or crash under Yosemite

by Hutchi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 am

Hi,
    on a recently bought new macbook pro 15' with all the graphic upgrades, I get the weirdest bugs and crashes while using madmapper.

I thought my equipment (projector, fiber extender, matrox) was at fault,
    but in get the problem in the preview windows when laptop is'nt connected to anything ;

-Sometimes when going from a video to another it'll flick to black for a sec, making the transition in between videos not fluid at all, ( it was checked that the videos had no black frames in them , either at the beginning or at the end.)

- @ Random times when triggering another video madmapper become unresponsive and needs to be restarted.

-Videos are few seconds long, .mov compressed in photoJPEG @ 80% ( 2-10 mb each)
    -I have tried version 1.6.6/1.6.7 and 1.7
    -I am under Yosemite, and have done all the possible updates to it.

We sold that setup for a tour, and they are currently having problems with it, we need to fix it asap and possibly without having to change the mapping software as MM used to be our favorite.

I used madmapper alot in the past i have never seen it crash or do such flickering on transition.

Thanks for any help!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: MadMapper flicks or crash under Yosemite

by mad-matt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Hutchi,
    Could you see the problem before sending the machine on tour ?
    Did you send any crashlog to us ? If yes, let me know what the email addressed was, I'll check that.
    I'll send another test to do in PM.
    Cheers,
    Matthieu - MM team
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:57 pm

hi,
    i did not send to crash file, where is it located?
    does it creates one when i force quit it ?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks for the crashlog. It crashes inside QuickTime when initializing.

Have you installed third party QuickTime codecs on your machine ? Perian ? Another one ? You should try to uninstall them. There may be a buggy one...
    Does it crash when you deactivating Airplay ?

Have you tried with another file format, like Apple ProRes ? Of course it should not crash, but I have no idea why it crashes. I switched between your video files hundreds of time in MM 1.6.7 and had no issue.

Regards,
    Matthieu - MM team
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi,

I only have basic quicktime installed, no other plugins, no air play.

You must have had those black frame flicks at the begging at some point? when going back and forth in the files.
    Instead of having seemless transitions it jumps to black for a sec.

Most crashes happen when switching fast from one file to another, since the video are following the main artist we sometimes have to quickly jump to the next video.
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Found out the issue is that madmapper does'nt pre load any of his medias, so everytime he is asked to quickly load an new media it jerks for a second.

I tried playing the video from modul8 thru syphon to madmapper and everything was stable.
    My problem is now to achieve dmx communication with modul8, which is'nt as simple as in madmapper even with the dmx fixture module. As i could'nt find any decent tutorial for it.

i create a fixture, link to a dmx channel but then i need to put the right keyword for it to do the right thing.
    Is there Bank or guide of the keyword function somewhere? since modulate pages are restricted in number of files i will need to send the command "switch to X page"
    Basicly i only need "play X video" and "switch to X page command"

Thanks for any help.
  • Hutchi

by Hutchi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm

For anyone wandering how it ended, it went very well, using the modul8 and the module "dmx2media" in the public library every media could be triggered by the grandMA console easily.

Again the problem was not a glitch or a bug from Madmapper, or even yosemite problem.
    It is Barely a short coming of Madmapper software, as it now has nice DMX show controls, VERY easy to map and use compare to modul8.

But since it has no media buffering, trigging back and forth medias cause black frames due to loading or even crashes if some files are heavy, i would still only use it has a mapping software, at least for show.

Please add media buffering to madmapper in the future so it can be used as a stand alone, showcontrol/mapping software :D

Also please add the same kind of dmx control mapping to modul8 as the one you put in madmapper ( right-click a control or a media and enter dmx channel) that would be the greatest.

When we make technical designs for small or medium tours it is such an awesome software, and more affordable than having to sell both madmapper +modul8 to a client when it is just a playback show.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Hutchi,
    Thanks for your feedback. We're working at improving media playback in a close future (more control, better performances, wider format support) so if you don't do processing.
    Best Regards,
    Matthieu - MM team