How do ALPHA channels work between MadMapper and VDMX
  • tangent

How do ALPHA channels work between MadMapper and VDMX

by tangent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could clear up some Qs I have with blend modes, Alpha channels and MadMapper

I use MM with VDMX and have experienced weird ways that alpha channels are displayed/handled in mad mapper.

Example: Last night I had a gig that involved a bunch of custom content we made for some 3d screens.
    I created all the content with alpha channels.
    During set up we mapped on my friends lappy. He was also running VDMX and MM (os 10.9 and im running 10.8 )
    Everything was working perfectly. We transferred the 2 separate project files to my lappy and my MM seemed to ignore the alpha channels in the clips.
    As a work around I had to change the MM blend mode to Add to get it looking remotely correct but it still was not right.

Why was mine so different to the other laptop, running the exact same project files, on the exact same versions of each program?

How does MM receive alpha channels and blend modes from other programs?
    Do some type of blend modes get past between programs and some don't?

Cheers
    Last edited by tangent on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: How do ALPHA channels work between MadMapper and VDMX

by franz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 pm

if there's an alpha channel, you should set your blending mode to Over , or Over premulityply to prebuilt. the alpha channel.
  • tangent

Re: How do ALPHA channels work between MadMapper and VDMX

by tangent » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:14 am

Yeah I had it set to over, I have since gone through and tried ever single blend mode just to see the changes but with no luck