MadMapper 2.0 beta- 3d shape calibration
  • majorgape

MadMapper 2.0 beta- 3d shape calibration

by majorgape » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

so in the 2.0 beta of mad mapper the team has added a new feature where you can add 3d obj files. one feature is a calibration checkbox which i don't know what purpose it serves. Does any one what it does. It only sticks to vertices.
    Attachments
    Screenshot 2015-06-02 13.51.27.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-02 13.51.27.png (115.85 KiB) Viewed 9354 times
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: MadMapper 2.0 beta- 3d shape calibration

by franz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:45 am

sorry we are in the process of making a proper tutorial.
    To explain you quickly:

- have a physical and a virtual object, both the same
    (typically, a 3d model and a 3d print of the the model)

- load the 3d model (in OBJ format only) into MadMapper's 3d surface
    - position your projector to cover your 3d printed object
    - click "calibrate": now select 6 non coplanar vertices: select one vertex in MM interface, and drag it on the corresponding point in your output
    (repeat for at least 6 points)
    - your 3d object is now calibrated and should fit the real world object
    - you can now "fix the calibration", this will allow you to tweak your vertices in the view, for slight adjustments (edit mesh)

Hope this helps,
    let me know if you run into problems
  • Gilbert

by Gilbert » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 pm

I've followed these instructions but either the model disappears or there is a totally incorrect angle and FOV.

This post is from 1 year ago but there is still no tutorial or documentation?

Given the software is sold on it's ability to 3D map, shouldn't there be?
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 am

it's been almost a year the tutorials are available:
    http://www.madmapper.com/support/tutorials/

download the 2.0 PDFs tuts, and look for "Advanced 3d mapping"
  • Gilbert

by Gilbert » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Thank you, found it.

Unfortunately I'm using a complicated mesh topography .obj - I've tried my best to calibrate using peaks and troughs in the model but the error margin is too great.

Being able to select the 4 corners of the model to set the camera (in a similar way to positioning a plain square mesh) would be ideal. Alternatively just manually setting the camera position, angle and FOV would solve the problem too...
  • MindBuffer

by MindBuffer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks followed along with the tutorial but clicking fix position does nothing to the shape of the object, i'd assume that once you add your calibration points and click "fix calibration" that it would morph the vertices and perspective of the shape but nothing seems to happen, am I missing something here?

Agree with Gilbert. Would be great to just adjust the 4 corners of the models bounding box just like a normal layer to align the object to a reference image. Any tips anyone?
  • MindBuffer

by MindBuffer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:24 am

You can see an example of what i'm trying to do below. The top image is the 3d model of the building we are mapping, the bottom image is a reference picture taken from where the projection lens will be. No matter what I do I can't rotate the model to align with the reference image, and because the model is so complicated, its unfeasible to hand tweak the mesh to align. This is because there is no way of warping the 3d model to take camera distortion into effect ( or is there??? )..... Would appreciate some tips on how to tackle this problem effectively. Thanks.

• mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:25 am

You didn't calibrate, that's the wat. If you follow the tutorial, you'll see that you have to check the "calibrate" checkbox, then choose 6 vertices from the 3D object and place it at the right place in the output, then it will transform the 3D object perperly to fit the real world object.

Agree with Gilbert. Would be great to just adjust the 4 corners of the models bounding box just like a normal layer to align the object to a reference image. Any tips anyone?

That's about the same than 4 points, except that you can choose which points of your model you want to position, and we request a minimum of 6 points mapped for a good calibration.

Hope that's clear
  • MindBuffer

by MindBuffer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 am

Nice one Matt! not sure why yesterday my model would either dissapear or not transform, think I was selecting calibration points that Mad Mapper wasn't into. Anyways, at least I can now see what bits I need to tweak of my model. Thanks again.