8 output projectors with a MacPro
  • Deepblack

8 output projectors with a MacPro

by Deepblack » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:43 am

I am starting my first project, 2nd day, and of course there are some things to work out...lol
    First off I am covering 4 walls of a gallery in NY with a video loop using 8 Optima 1920x1080 projectors.
    I have a fully loaded brand new MacPro, Its working great running MadMapper and a ProRes 422 7680x2160 video loop, no problem.

Problem 1- the adapters I have are two Zotac miniDisplayPort to dual Hdmi and they have been working but the 4 Macally miniDP to HDMI will not work all at the same time while also running the two Zotac (computer outputs work fine)
    I also have a Triple Head to go but when using the other adapters as well I only get two outputs from it.
    And I have a Startech triple head but the three monitors are mirrored.

?Is there a trick to get all the Thunderbolt2 outputs to send or are there better adapter combinations?

Sad to say the Zotac adapters have been discontinued.

Problem 2- getting all the screen assignments in system settings to stay the same again at restart. Really not wanting to leave the computer running for a month or even just for a week.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: 8 output projectors with a MacPro

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:34 pm

> the 4 Macally miniDP to HDMI will not work all at the same time

You have to use active adapters. Are they active ? I use those ones, 30$, they're fine: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Min ... B00AYAF3MQ
    But I can only use 6 screens with it. I tried to replace some with zotacs to have more screens but I had issues. I haven't invastigated much more...
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: 8 output projectors with a MacPro

by franz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 am

MacPro = 6 outputs + 1 monitor, but it is unstable.
    6 outputs total (including 1 monitor) is ok tho' using ACTIVE adapters