DMX LED Strip setup?
  • blabberbytes

DMX LED Strip setup?

by blabberbytes » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:18 am

First Off I wanted to start by saying I'm a complete noob and Don't know much but have been trying to read a lot about the subject matter.

I'm trying to control RGB LED strips via Madmapper. So far I have the Enttec Pro MK2. From my understanding I need a LED/DMX Driver and a power supply.

So my question is what what hardware I need to accomplish this? And specific brands/links/products you can point me to? What is your set up? I dont know enough about the topic to do a proper search for this via google. I have been trying, but have been failing miserably. I actually bought a DUMB DMX RGB LED controller but I want to be able to control individual pixels so this isnt want I wanted.

Please HAAALP!
    sigmasix
    master

Re: DMX LED Strip setup?

by sigmasix » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 am

• blabberbytes

by blabberbytes » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:15 am

Yeah I actually saw this. but It wasn't clear if he is able to control individual pixels with this setup. At this point I know how to control each channel separate, but I'm trying to control each individual pixel within a channel. And with this setup, which is similar to the one I got isn't really clear whether it accomplish this or not. Does anyone have first hand experience which a setup like this?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:58 am

You can use a board like this one:

http://www.advateklights.com/pixlite-control/

It's convenient because you go directly from your computer to the board using artnet, no need for a dmx controller. Also, depending on the power consumption (number of LEDs by output) you can use the power given by the board.
  • blabberbytes

by blabberbytes » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks I'll try that out
  • blabberbytes

by blabberbytes » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 am

So I'm trying to figure which RGB Pixel controller to go with and I'm now deciding between the F16v3 or PixLite 16 MkII? They are similarly priced and have simliar functionaliy. The F16v3 has Wifi which could be super helpful while the pixlite mk II has more DMX (RS-485)outputs.

Here is the comparison chart which makes little sense to me because I'm a noob and this is the first time I will be working with LEDs pretty much.

http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/

What are your thoughts?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Personally I would never use wifi for a professionnal installation, except in very controlled environment.
    I have experience only with Pixlite, as a lot of people I know, we're happy with the quality and by the fact they made the effort to make a setup application for Mac. It runs up to 100 FPS, which makes very smooth animations (setting Max ArtNet FPS to 60 in MM preferences so you're synched with your screen refresh rate if using a MacBook)