Madmapper is crashing
  • sanemapper

Madmapper is crashing

by sanemapper » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:05 am

I have Madmapper 2.2.6 running on a macbook pro running 10.11.6 in a shop and once every week it is crashing. I have selected to send the crash log and in apple mail there is an email to madmappercrashreport@garagecube.com with the title "CRASH: MadMapper v.2.2.6 (5710)" however there is no text in the body.

Are you receiving the crash log? I need to get to the bottom of this urgently.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: Madmapper is crashing

by mad-matt » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi,

No I don't receive crashlogs. Please send it to support@garagecube.com. You can create a ZIP with all MM crashlogs on your desktop by typing that in Terminal:
    zip -r ~/Desktop/MadMapper_CrashLogs.zip ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/MadMapper_*
    In MM 2.5 we're sending crash reports through HTTP instead of mails.

About your crash, what is MM doing ? Is it playing Syphon ? Movies ? What codec ? Do you control MM in any way or is it just playing the same thing ?
    Anything else running on the machine ?
    Have you checked memory usage of different processes with "Activity Monitor" ?

Cheers
    Matthieu - MM team
  • sanemapper

by sanemapper » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for the reply. Please find crash log attached.

MM is just playing a MOV file (ProRes 422, 2560 x 800 resolution) and outputting to two projectors. The macbook pro is running 24/7. I have created similar installations using a mac mini and MM has not crashed ever.

The laptop is brand new from shop with nothing else running on it except Team Viewer so I can remotely check it.
    Attachments
    MadMapper_CrashLogs.zip
    (213.99 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
  • sanemapper

by sanemapper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 am

Hi Matthieu,

Did you get a chance to look at the crashlog?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:53 am

Hi!

Strange... Seems like a leak in the Intel card graphics driver. MM is not allocating any graphic card resources while playing (just when starting a new media) and if there was a leak we would see it wathever the hardware / OS Version.

Do you activate "Use Hardware Acceleration" on your movie ? Is it playing with FFMPEG or AVFoundation player ? You could try switch this option on or off. It should have no effect, but that's an interesting test (in the case of AVFoundation, Apple framework handles the video textures itself, so if MM crashes with that, QuickTime player should also crash after playing back the movie for a week ;-)
    If you are actually using AVFoundation, you should try with FFMPEG, but not with ProRes cause it's slow with FFMPEG. Use H264.

Here are your other options:
    - Try with 10.12 (graphic drivers are different on different OS Version)
    - Configure your computer to reboot for instance each 2 days at a specific time and put your MadMapper project file in startup items (and MM preference / Misc / "Fullscreen when opening a project at startup" checked)

Cheers
    Matthieu
  • sanemapper

by sanemapper » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Matthieu,

Thank you I have implemented the suggested changes (turning on hardware acceleration and using MP4 instead of ProRes). When hardware acceleration is turned on the player automatically changes from FFMPEG to AVfoundation, there is no option to change it back to FFMPEG, unless I turn off Hardware Acceleration. Should I still continue to use AVFoundation with hardware acceleration turned on?

I have also configured a reboot once per week as per the apple energy saver preferences (it only allows once per week or daily reboots).

Hopefully this fixes it, I will report back if not.

Cheers.
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Okay. AVFoundation use hardware acceleration to decompress movies (when possible). That's why we wrote "Use hardware acceleration" instead of "Use AVFoundation" (most people wouldn't understand). FFMPEG is often better for precision, but AVFoundation gives better results with very high resolution files when played forward.

Of course as a developper, I would have liked to know if just turning on "Use Hardware Acceleration" (so switching to AVFoundation) would have solved the issue.

Let us know if the issue happens again
  • sanemapper

by sanemapper » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:33 am

Hi Matt,

Madmapper crashed again last night. I have attached the crashlog. It doesnt look like those changes have fixed it. Ive set it to reboot every night now, and ill try Sierra.
    Attachments
    MadMapper_2016-10-06-090145_Factories-MacBook-Pro.crash.zip
    (24.84 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:08 pm

So activating Hardware acceleration didn't solve ?

There's a crash in Intel graphic driver (com.apple.driver.AppleIntelBDWGraphicsGLDriver)
    What's your hardware setup ? (number of projectors etc.)

Could you try with MadMapper 2.5 beta ? => https://garagecube.mailerlite.com/q1z3y ... 6304/g2r9/
    It's using newer OpenGL API, so a lot of things changed in this one.