some more advanced programming ?'s...
  • DJDrums

some more advanced programming ?'s...

by DJDrums » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey all!
    I'm trying to be Independent, but I'm just hitting a glass ceiling here. hoping someone can help me out!

1. Is there a way to have a 'default output setting' ?

I have 10 quads that I project on. During setup, they aren't always perfectly in the same spot as before.
    so, if my quads are ....3 inches off in various directions... It seems I have to open each individual preset and move the outputs around.... when, ideally, I have the same output on every single preset. Am I missing something there?

2. Is there a way to MIDI trigger just one quad of the ten? So, have a video playing on all ten, and then, hit a midi note, have one quad change, and have the other 9 keep on as if nothing happened?

3. I am using Enttec pixel tape through their Artnet pixelator. I have figured out how to project video content on through it, but, is there an easy way to treat the pixel tape like a lighting console would? Just basic sine chases, colors, etc...

4. What's the difference between setting a LED tape up as a DMX line, or a fixture?!

THANK YOU!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

Re: some more advanced programming ?'s...

by mad-matt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:18 pm

1. Is there a way to have a 'default output setting' ?

I have 10 quads that I project on. During setup, they aren't always perfectly in the same spot as before.
    so, if my quads are ....3 inches off in various directions... It seems I have to open each individual preset and move the outputs around.... when, ideally, I have the same output on every single preset. Am I missing something there?

That's always a problem with presets. Personally I work with surface groups instead of using presets. You can hide / show a surface group using MIDI / OSC ...
    We're working to make all of this better, but there are already many solutions.

2. Is there a way to MIDI trigger just one quad of the ten? So, have a video playing on all ten, and then, hit a midi note, have one quad change, and have the other 9 keep on as if nothing happened?

You can assign MIDI/OSC on media assignments (the left arrow icon on media list). It will apply the media to selected surfaces. You can select surfaces with MIDI / OSC (in MIDI learn mode, menu Edit / Edit MIDI Controls, the assignable "SELECT" button appears). So you can have a few MIDI buttons to select surfaces and other buttons to select the media to assign to selection.

3. I am using Enttec pixel tape through their Artnet pixelator. I have figured out how to project video content on through it, but, is there an easy way to treat the pixel tape like a lighting console would? Just basic sine chases, colors, etc...

In MadMapper 2.5, Materials are made for it. We will open this edition to all users in the future, so we can create and share more. The "ColorPatterns" generator is also cool to test LEDs.

4. What's the difference between setting a LED tape up as a DMX line, or a fixture?!

That's just about edition, having 2 handles instead of 4.
  • DJDrums

by DJDrums » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 am

thank you matt!
    this is very helpful.

1. Are surface groups different than the folder on the bottom of the surfaces menu?? Are you implying that instead of having different presets, I have multiple/duplicate surface groups, and just treat them as a preset? IE, Group one (quad 1-10) Group two (quad 1-10). I might be missing the process correctly. I have to have to move a surface, in group one, wont I have to do that on the others anyway?

2. Fantastic! super helpful.

3. I'll dig deeper. Thank you.

4. gotcha. so If I dont rotate, a line DMX is fine. THANK. YOU.

also, check your DMs!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 pm

1. Are surface groups different than the folder on the bottom of the surfaces menu?? Are you implying that instead of having different presets, I have multiple/duplicate surface groups, and just treat them as a preset? IE, Group one (quad 1-10) Group two (quad 1-10). I might be missing the process correctly. I have to have to move a surface, in group one, wont I have to do that on the others anyway?

Yes, at least if working with groups, you can have all your surfaces visible at once and you can adjust them together.

Of course, the best would be to have presets where you can choose which parameters to store. We are working on a larger solution, so it will take time.
  • DJDrums

by DJDrums » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 am

thank you! Just to make sure I'm understanding though...
    In each group, if one of my quads of the ten is off, I'll still have to individually move that ONE quad, right?

Excited to see what you guy update next! LOVE the 2.5 updates.

Also, Matt- I send you a PM....