MAD + deckling quad
  • generalh

MAD + deckling quad

by generalh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Hello,
    I use a Mac Pro late 2009 with a decklink quad V1 4ins+4outs...
    OS X capitan doesn't show up outputs from the card
    but when i use Millumin i can see and use them
    but not in Mad is there a trick to make this run like Millumin?
    Having heavy duty with mapping i would prefer use Mad instead of Millumin
    Until now i syphon Mad to Millumin but it's weird i would like to get rid of Millumin for this show
    Thank you
    Cheers
    H.
  • generalh

Re: MAD + deckling quad

by generalh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Bump!!!
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm

MM is directly rendering OpenGL on the video output. To support BlackMagic output we need to render in an offline surface in the discrete graphics card, download it back from the GPU to the computer memory to send it to BlackMagic output. It's in the whishlist yet but there's no deadline fixed. So for the moment using a Syphon->BlackMagic is the solution (and should not affect performances that much)
  • TheYouth

by TheYouth » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 pm

Any update on this? Would be great having this :)
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 am

Still in the list...
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:20 pm

Is Madmapper 3.7 now able to use the "BlackMagicDesign Decklink Quad 2" as up to 8-Channel Playback- and/or Capture-Card?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 pm

I support acquisition should be working. We implemented their SDK properly so if it works in their application it should work in MadMapper.
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am

I support acquisition should be working. We implemented their SDK properly so if it works in their application it should work in MadMapper.
    Thanks for your quick answer. I hope you are right because we actually plan to invest in a "BlackMagicDesign Decklink Quad 2" to get 6 SDI outputs (for our 6 projectors) and 2 inputs for capturing live video in 1080p.

Can you perhaps recommend a powerful GPU for that? It should be able to handle the described situation, especially when all SDI inputs and outputs have 1080p resolutions and they are all in use parallel during a theatre production...
    HD-SDI at 30Hz is OK for that. 3G-SDI at 50/60Hz would be better of course.

At the moment our Win7 video production PC with MadMapper 3.70 has an intel 7700K chip and a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti built in. An Upgrade to Win10 is also in plan.

Thanks for your help,
    Hardy
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:08 pm

I hope you are right because we actually plan to invest in a "BlackMagicDesign Decklink Quad 2" to get 6 SDI outputs
    Noooo !! It should work as an input device but not as output.
    You should always output with a graphics card with OpenGL support, nVidia or AMD good GPU. You can use display port or HDMI =>SDI. Generally GPUs with direct SDI output are not made for hardware acceleration / 3D processing, so they give bad performances for MM.
    GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is great. If you want 6 outputs you can opt for a Datapath FX4 splitter (1x4k input => 4xFullHD outputs). I don't remember if it's FX4 or HX4, I think one is limited to 30FPS in 4k.
    Let us know
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:44 pm

Aaahhh okay...

Yes, the input of the HX4 is limited to 30Hz in 4K. So the FX4 should be the choice if...

But is there perhaps any cheaper solution on the market? What's about the new upcoming Matrox QuadHead to Go?

The Datapath FX4-SDI Version sounds great for me, but 2.600€...
    And the HDMI Version is with about 1.800€ also a very expensive solution, i think....PLUS SDI conversion....mmmhhh.

So in the Win7/10 system config a Datapath Video Wall Splitter or similar controllers do only one physical output, so I have to build a virtual 2x2 matrix in MadMapper, right?

Thanks for your help!
  • tontechnik

by tontechnik » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am

In another thread

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33579&p=56074&hili ... ink#p56074

I read, that it is possible to get Blackmagic SDI outputs on MacOS by "syphoning" them directly from OpenGL/GPU. Should it not be possible for me to spout my outputs to a DeckLink Quad 2 on my PC system to get the wished 6 SDI outputs and 2 inputs?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:04 am

It would be ok with a single output, but with 6, I'm not sure of the performance overhead.
    To do that you would publish your 6 MadMapper outputs to Syphon, so the 6 outputs would be graphics card textures. At the moment you have almost no overhead compared to directly rendering on screen. But I have no idea what would be the overhead of the Black Syphon application taking the 6 Syphon streams and streaming it to the black magic devices. Also I have never tested this application so I'm not sure of its reliability. In any case there's an overhead you cannot get rid of: the 6 syphon streams have to be downloaded from the GPU memory (VRAM) to be transmitter from the computer RAM to the Black Magic device (there must be another copy at this point).
    I wouldn't go for such a setup. But if you try let us know.