RGBWA + UV custom fixture
    kazimier22

RGBWA + UV custom fixture

by kazimier22 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:39 pm

hello

not sure if anyone has had much luck with this - but we are running a show with a number of these fixtures http://www.elationlighting.com/sixpar-200ip they have a fantastic colour range but i am struggling to build a custom fixture for them in mad mapper.. I can put the light into 6 channel mode and I don't need the UV channel ( can just set that channel to Unused ).

The problem I have is that there is no Amber channel as an option for custom fixtures.. tried using the Yellow channel - but it doesn't respond correctly .. maybe you cannot mix RGBW channels with the CMY in one fixture? could not find much info about this.. but if I have it as a Y channel it responds inconsistently - i.e. when i bring down the blue channel the Y channel goes up? I tried another option with the Amber channel being a Slider.. which gives me independent control of it via the slider that appears on the menu below the orientation info.. which is a work around. but what i am really keen is to tap into the full RGBWA functionality of the light and feed it subtle hue changes .. maybe this is more of a request for future development!?? any ideas /suggestions most welcome..
  • franz
    madMapper master

Re: RGBWA + UV custom fixture

by franz » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:46 pm

you're right, there's no amber.
    you could sample amber from RGB using an expression, such as (R+(G*0.75))/1.75
    kazimier22

by kazimier22 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:57 pm

thanks for your quick reply !
    i am not exactly sure how to implement your suggestion.. where would i use an expression within the software?
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:42 am

Like in attached screenshot.
    "W" channel will be fed by the minimum of R, G and B.
    while "L" would be fed by the luminance of the pixel - dot(colorRGB, vec3(0.299, 0.587, 0.114))
    If you want to remove from R, G and B the luminosity you send yo "W" channel, you can use expressions for three first channels too:
    channel 1, expression = "R-W"
    channel 2, expression = "G-W"
    channel 3, expression = "B-W"
    channel 4, expression = "W"
    channel 5, expression = "(R+(G*0.75))/1.75"

Another possibility is to control RGB with one media, W with another one and Amber with another. For that you would create 3 fixtures.
    RGBXX: channels: R,G,B,Unused,Unused
    XXXWX: channels: Unused,Unused,Unused,W,Unused
    XXXXXA: channels: Unused,Unused,Unused,Unused, expression "(R+(G*0.75))/1.75"

Then you can patch all fixtures to the same DMX address and each will control certains DMX channels. You can use a gradiant on the Amber channel while displaying a noise on RBG for instance (since you can affect different medias to each fixture, or different input positions if all video content comes from a Syphon source)
    kazimier22

by kazimier22 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm

ok - sure makes a lot more sense. did not know about the expression function of the custom fixture . that's really interesting.
    i cannot see the attachment in your reply.. could you possible send it again if you get the chance?

will give a go for both options you propose and let you know which one works best.

thanks again !
    kazimier22

by kazimier22 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:59 pm

no worries. i got it working with the expressions solution - looks great. thanks for your help
  • mad-matt
    garageCube team

by mad-matt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Oups, file was too big, here it is
    Attachments
    madmapper-fixture-expression.jpg
    madmapper-fixture-expression.jpg (233.66 KiB) Viewed 4982 times