How to launch MadMapper in Windows 10 from the Command Line or Task Scheduler without duplicating the program?
  • Lumenarius

How to launch MadMapper in Windows 10 from the Command Line or Task Scheduler without duplicating the program?

by Lumenarius » Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

Launching MadMapper from the command line/Task Scheduler is a great way to do a permanent installation or any exhibit that is up for more than a few days and needs to run.

Windows is really the best platform for this as the native program Task Scheduler can handle all of this.

What I have been doing lately is to launch a MadMapper file from Task Scheduler.

This is done where the path to the .exe is in the "Program/script" field and the "Arguments" field contains the path to the actual file such as "...\MyMadMapperFile.mad"

This works great. But I need some help.

What happens is that sometimes the client or curator will want to turn on the show manually before the set start time for a TV crew or something. No problem.

But, they will sometimes forget to close MadMapper and so when the time to launch the show comes around Task Scheduler will run this task and what ends up happening is that now 2 copies of MadMapper are open (this does not happen on Mac??) and they both are playing over each other. Weird things happen, time slows down, clocks start melting, audio gets whacky, and I end up getting a confused phone call or support ticket.

Easy fix but how can we automate this?

In the Resolume world a similar issue involving duplicate comps is solved by passing an additional argument before the file path such as:

--suppressCompositionChangeConfirmation "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Resolume\Avenue\Compositions\YOURCOMPNAME.avc"

https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21990

Is there any equivalent to this in the MadMapper world? I have no idea how the Resolume forum moderators there knew this existed because it is nowhere in the docs but it works beautifully!

If no command like this exists I imagine I need to create some sort of batch (.bat) file that will first quit any instance of MadMapper, then wait 15 seconds, then open the right one.

I would love to not have to write a batch script and keep it all in Task Scheduler so I figured I would ask if there are any magic spells out there?

Hope this was clear enough.

Thank you all!