Maintain aspect ratio of desktop window output
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Maintain aspect ratio of desktop window output

by jasonbeyers » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:38 pm

I like to check the “desktop window” checkbox for some projector outputs, for monitoring the feed when I can’t have the full madmapper UI visible on my main screen.

However this desktop window doesn’t maintain the aspect ratio of the texture feed, meaning that the aspect ratio *will* get messed up if you try to resize it. And it’s not possible to resize the whole window with one motion - you have to tweak the X and Y sizes independently.

I can’t think of a good reason why the X and the Y of that popup window would need to be adjusted independently.

Feature request: remove the ability to adjust the X and Y scales of that popup window, and instead just maintain the right aspect ratio of the content itself.

OR, allow users to hold the SHIFT key to allow for more intuitive window resizing.

Thanks for your consideration!
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

Re: Maintain aspect ratio of desktop window output

by jasonbeyers » Thu May 11, 2023 5:20 pm

Gently nudging this one.

I currently need to use external software to properly get a preview window of an output (and this only works for spout streams, not internal MM loopback streams). Using OBS for this, which burns CPU cycles
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Tue May 23, 2023 11:02 am

+1 for Shift Resize
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:37 am

Or even just locking in the aspect ratio should suffice. I'm not sure folks would want to change the aspect ratio of one of these windows, relative to the aspect ratio of the feed.

I'm trying to put together a rough diagnostic view, with (A) MM's cue bank window and (B) a texture stream from MM showing various labels and other overlays, including a beat indicator and a tiny output preview. I plan on having this on a small monitor and would need to resize it fairly regularly, including during shows. Would be great if the aspect ratio was just fixed, for simplicity.
  • jasonbeyers
    super8 member

by jasonbeyers » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:31 am

Gently bumping this. I'm still using touchdesigner for this, but doing so is taking a slice out of my PC's performance (using spout -> TD and having TD display an aspect-ratio-locked window).

Would be great if Madmapper's "desktop output" window was locked to the aspect ratio of the content :)