Multi GPU support
  • produktionshuset

Multi GPU support

by produktionshuset » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Im about to shell out a ton of cash on a macPro (when the rehash happens) - sofar i've been using triplehead2go on mbp's with decent results - as the desktop gpus are far more powerfull than the mobile ones in laptops/imacs.
    I was hoping that it is - or will be possible to:

a.) use 2 raphics cards in a mac pro ( judging from current setup that would result in 1 output for the desktop - 5out of 6 for madmapper.

b.) - this is where it gets tricky: 1 output for a lcdscreen, - 5 outputs for a combination of displayport/dvi triplehead2 go's for a combined madmapper "workspace" of 15 projektor outputs). (insert evil grin here).

Hows that sounding Boris & Co? :-)
  • bluecrash

outputs

by bluecrash » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:13 am

only one 5870 will fit in mac pro tower

and you can only use one of its dp outputs at a time

I had the same idea to use 2 triplehead to go ... but only one dp and one dvi out work from the large card....

sad
    sigmasix
    master

Re: outputs

by sigmasix » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 am

I managed to have it to work with all 3 outputs and 2 cards (meaning 2 DVI and 4 MDP) but only if everything is wired in VGA… I did it once and it worked fine and I had to do it again and everything was connected in DVI/optical and I could only have 2 outputs on 3 for each card (2 MDP or 1DVI and 1MDP…)

This is very problematic and not said in the tech spec of these cards…

bluecrash wrote:only one 5870 will fit in mac pro tower

I had the same idea to use 2 triplehead to go ... but only one dp and one dvi out work from the large card....

sad
  • produktionshuset

Re: outputs

by produktionshuset » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 pm

sigmasix wrote:I managed to have it to work with all 3 outputs and 2 cards (meaning 2 DVI and 4 MDP) but only if everything is wired in VGA… I did it once and it worked fine and I had to do it again and everything was connected in DVI/optical and I could only have 2 outputs on 3 for each card (2 MDP or 1DVI and 1MDP…)

This is very problematic and not said in the tech spec of these cards…

bluecrash wrote:only one 5870 will fit in mac pro tower

sad

What setup of triplehead's2go did you use? - i got the digital (dvi) atm, but it seems like you'd need to get the DP version for the best setting - also in terms of using all 3 outputs