Layer specific Masking
  • scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

Layer specific Masking

by scaryxpuppy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi there,

It would be great to have LAYER SPECIFIC masking - that is to say, that you can create a mask but it only effects layers that it is allocated too.

For example, I an trying to map a car currently and would like to have a "bottom Layer" on Madmapper for the Car Insides (windows etc) and then on top of this layer a "top layer" for the car bodywork.

Currently I am having to map each window separartely and then layer it on - it would be easier to just be able to mask off sections of the main layer.

This is because it is easier to create an "abstract shape" using the Mask - another option/wish around this would be the facility to have not just a "mesh warp" on input but a simple outside of the shape grid - for example 5 points per side rather than having to have all the "internal" map points that a mesh creates

Cheers

PHIL
  • stereomike

Re: Layer specific Masking

by stereomike » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:20 pm

I was thinking that same thing and I found that if you put a mesh warp on a quad, then in the input window you can manipulate the points to make an adhoc layer specific mask.

hope thats of some use

Mike
    can i have more butter on my chicken please
  • scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi there - yep, this a work around for simple things, agreed, but my "problem" came about where I am looking to map a house across from me, and have a 'mask' of the windows/doors so that when i play a full screen video, it maps across the house as a whole object.

Within the same project I also need the opposite where I 'mask' the brickwork and have full screen video playing across all windows.

When I create masks, these are obviously overlaying.

A 'quickfix' solution (THIS IS FOR YOU DEVELOPERS..hint hint) would be to have MIDI or OSC control of layers in MADMAPPER and then masks could be switched on and off when needed.

This feature would be useful for many other reasons too.

Still a lovely piece of kit though, and I will keep experimenting

PHIL
  • dibis60

by dibis60 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:48 am

I also agree this feature is absolutely required. Essentially the clipping mask from Photoshop :) There really is no workaround for this, since I need to be able show content around the border of a cube without simply shrinking the surfaces covering the majority of the planes.
    pele2010
    ultim8 member

by pele2010 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 pm

dibis60 wrote:I also agree this feature is absolutely required. Essentially the clipping mask from Photoshop :) There really is no workaround for this, since I need to be able show content around the border of a cube without simply shrinking the surfaces covering the majority of the planes.

In Photoshop go file > Save for Web > and use PNG 24 bit.

For me that worked. I have a mask and no white clipping on the edges.

The other option is to go to After Effects and Export a QT PNG with alpha . Even if it has only one Frame.

hope that helps.

Pele2010
    www.instagram.com/pele2010/
    #eachfilm01
    #pele2010
    Act without doing; work without effort. Think of the small as large and the few as many. Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
    accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.
    www.eachfilm.de
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

cant you just put your masks in M8?
    I had no trouble doing this a long time before madmapper was invented.
  • scaryxpuppy
    activ8 member

by scaryxpuppy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:45 am

V 1.2 saves the day !

Well done guys !!