Load a fixture set from a structured file
  • dimitre

Load a fixture set from a structured file

by dimitre » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 pm

It would be amazing being able of loading a series of led fixtures from an external file in a specific format. (CSV or TSV or XML or JSON)
    I have some complex pixel maps already mapped using programming so it would be easy to translate them without too much mouse pixelpushing. Can Madmapper handle about 7200 different fixtures?

Thank you!
    NateMac
    activ8 member

Re: Load a fixture set from a structured file

by NateMac » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm assuming your not using DMX512? MadMapper uses Art-Net to DMX, so a max of 512 fixture/signals per universe. If your using RGB you get 170 fixtures. Each universe you can multiply that. (You would need 14 universes for 7200 fixtures, single color)
    Without using some sort of Syphon program you wouldn't be able to naturally integrate your programmed LEDs into MapMapper.

Out of curiously, I've been "playing" with Arduino and Raspberry Pi to run LEDs by programming rather then the DMX standard, I'd love to see what your working on, on the non MadMapper side. Feel free to share here or PM me.
    Good luck.
  • franz
    madMapper master

by franz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 pm

MadMapper can handle up to 16 universes and 16 subnets, so that's a grand maximum of 131072 DMX channels.
    That's the equivalent of a 256*512 pixels image - using only one channel per pixel -
  • dimitre

by dimitre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Answering my own question, Madmapper exported fixture file is a XML and it seems I can write that programmatically
    Thanks for the info on limitations
    The project now uses 64 universes, 7200 pixels with 4 channels each