Flashing a specific layer
  • pitballini

Flashing a specific layer

by pitballini » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi,
    Is there a Module or a possibility to flash a specific layer. I want to flash a specific layer with a key on my keyboard, when I release the key, the previous layer should be on the output.
    For example, on a concert to show a ¨Put your Hands up¨ and after this, the normal content will be shown. So that I have a key that only show the ¨Put your Hands up¨ for the time I hold the key down.

thanks
    kind regards
    sigmasix
    master

Re: Flashing a specific layer

by sigmasix » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:59 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you keymap the layer visibility it will work (at least it will toggle visible or not visible each time you tap the key)

otherwise you can create the module yourself without any line of code. Read the manual, there's a tutorial explaining how to assign a keyword to a button.
  • pitballini

by pitballini » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you keymap the layer visibility it will work (at least it will toggle visible or not visible each time you tap the key)

otherwise you can create the module yourself without any line of code. Read the manual, there's a tutorial explaining how to assign a keyword to a button.
    Yes, correct
    If I assign it to my keymap, it works, but only in that Group, if I change the group the layer don't appear on the output.
    The other way is to assign a key for example for the 1. Layer, then it is for each Group the 1.Layer.
    I want to press one key and the specific Layer goes over all Layer and over all Groups of Layers.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm

I see…

Then I think de Mask module is for you. It's made to have an extra overall layer in case you need to add a transparent png to mask some stuff on the projected surface.

Maybe you can find a way to keymap some button on that module to achieve what you want.
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

by geoffmatters » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Mask module is great suggestion, it is like a secret extra layer but is weird and doesn't have the full feature set or GUI.

You could also simply duplicate the Layer 1 to each layer set, and use a "position" key mapping. I've done this for projects before; I though I could leave the top layer set on 1 the whole time and use the bottom layer set for content, but partway through I decided I needed another top layer. Dupe layer 1, drag the copy to e.g. layer set b8, switch layer set a to 2, drag it up.

You might also be able to avoid switching the top layer set by rearranging your project to reuse layers.

If you are running through Mad Mapper, you could also add the extra layer there and map to something. A key map might not work well because you won't have focus on the MM app during performance, but you could add a small MIDI controller, or make a M8 module send OSC to MM and keymap that.