Graphic Card recommendation
  • modulo

Graphic Card recommendation

by modulo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:04 pm

Hi there,

I´m actually getting started with the modul8 Demo on my G4, 733 MHz, 896 MB RAM. The built-in Graphic Card, a Nvidia GeForce2 MX has only mirrored video outputs (not a real dualhead), so I´m searching for the best solution to run two displays on my mac (without spending much more than 200€).

I think about either byuing a second PCI Graphic Card (e.g. the Radeon 9200, 128 MB that got a s-video out already) or to change the existing one against a better dualhead that fits my AGP 4X .

Which of both possibilities would you recommend (does a second graphic card produce to much internal data traffic)?
    Does anyone have an advice/experience which graphic card stands for a good compromise between cost and effect?

Thanks in advance

modulo
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Graphic Card recommendation

by yves@garagecube » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:01 pm

modulo wrote:Hi there,

I think about either byuing a second PCI Graphic Card (e.g. the Radeon 9200, 128 MB that got a s-video out already) or to change the existing one against a better dualhead that fits my AGP 4X .

It is a lot better to buy a dualhead. The PCI bus is very slow to transfert data from the main memory to the video memory. Modul8 (unlike games) copies data to the video memory all the time, so AGP makes a huge difference in this specific case.

Yves.