Memory leak?
    gmint
    ultim8 member

Memory leak?

by gmint » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:35 pm

After playing with Modul8 this weekend, I remembered something that I may or may not have posted previously--it seems that Modul8 has a fairly significant memory leak (or something similar).

At a 3 hour gig, M8 was playing fast and smooth for about the first hour--everything was working great. However starting about the 2nd hour and getting progressively worse, M8 started to drastically slow down. Loading clips would cause the entire output to stutter and some of the layers even lost the ability to be controlled by my MIDI controller. Eventually, it got so bad that I had to restart the program at which time everything cleared up.

This was on a 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 w/ 768 Megs RAM (so I believe that's a 64MB video card). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Hopefully, this will be fixed in the upcoming version!
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Memory leak?

by yves@garagecube » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:05 pm

Sounds like you ran out of physical memory and your machine started to swap memory to disk. You may have to lower the "Preload medias" mbytes value in the preferences. Did you have a lot of loops running ? How big was your medias ?

While everything is possible, I'm pretty skeptical that there is a so huge memory leaks that we never saw before...

Yves.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:20 pm

I did have several loops running and I had loaded some large loops (basically music videos, not that I use alot of them but M8 makes them look so damn cool). However, it was like M8 wasn't deactivating them when I loaded new loops in. I mean, say I load a 300 meg (uncompressed memory usage) loop into layer 1, does M8 give up the memory when I load a new loop into that layer or does it keep the 300 meg file in memory for future use (from my experience, that seems like what is happening).

In any case, I will have to go through and tune the memory usage on some of my loops. I'll probably switch the larger ones to compressed memory since that doesn't seem to incur much of a performance penalty on my machine.
    DJ G Mint

yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Well if you have three layers with 300 meg. uncompressed movies simultaneously, you are already out of physical memory.

Yves.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:27 am

Sorry, just one 300 meg movie. Other layers are significantly smaller.
    DJ G Mint

yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:52 am

gmint wrote:Sorry, just one 300 meg movie. Other layers are significantly smaller.

Okay. :wink:

Yves.