midi questions + manual?
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

midi questions + manual?

by JJHP3 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:05 pm

Hello all

As a new user, I'm struggling with the idea that when I map a midi note to something like "contrast" it is not a toggle... the contrast module only is active as long as I hold the note down. I can see the use of this, but I would much much rather have some sort of toggle so when I push a button on my midi controller, the contrast is either on or off, or the layer is on or off or the keying is on or off - you get the idea I hope. Any way to do this?

Is it true that there is no way via midi to control which layer one is working on? Argh!

I don't seem to have received a manual of any kind other than the FAQ from the website - anything in the works?

Thanks

John
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: midi questions + manual?

by yves@garagecube » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:26 pm

JJHP3 wrote:As a new user, I'm struggling with the idea that when I map a midi note to something like "contrast" it is not a toggle... the contrast module only is active as long as I hold the note down. I can see the use of this, but I would much much rather have some sort of toggle so when I push a button on my midi controller, the contrast is either on or off, or the layer is on or off or the keying is on or off - you get the idea I hope. Any way to do this?

Is it true that there is no way via midi to control which layer one is working on? Argh!

I don't seem to have received a manual of any kind other than the FAQ from the website - anything in the works?

:shock: There is a documentation included in both the demo and the full version archive, it is called "Documentation.pdf". If you don't have it you can also download it from our website in the download section.

It is true that there is no way (in the current version) to change the active layer. However there is a contextual midi mode that allows you to associate different midi note to different layers.

Now regarding the toggle mode, this is related to the current configuration of your midi table. You should be able to do it by changing the settings of your midi table.

Yves.
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:28 pm

Ah well, I did find the documentation -thanks -sorry I missed it... I have read it, but still the question of how Modul8 handles MIDI notes for control of parameters remain. Your response, I think, is about defining buttons on a MIDI controller and thats fine, but many of us use keynotes from a keyboard. They really should be able to turn things off and on. Hit key "x" once to turn on "trace" for example and hit the same key again to turn it off. Am I missing something again?!?

John
  • jm302
    super8 member

by jm302 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:12 am

I'm pretty sure you need to set your MIDI controller to send the right type of note info. I think the Novation Remote 25 can do that, but in the end it depends on how programmable your MIDI controller is.

Cheers,
    Justin
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist" -- Anonymous

http://www.302acid.com
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:34 pm

JJHP3 wrote:Ah well, I did find the documentation -thanks -sorry I missed it... I have read it, but still the question of how Modul8 handles MIDI notes for control of parameters remain. Your response, I think, is about defining buttons on a MIDI controller and thats fine, but many of us use keynotes from a keyboard. They really should be able to turn things off and on. Hit key "x" once to turn on "trace" for example and hit the same key again to turn it off. Am I missing something again?!?
    John

The difference with a keyword is that a keyword always send the same information unlike midi controllers that do not work always the same. In Modul8 midi note on is mapped to ON and midi note off is mapped to OFF.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

by JJHP3 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:12 pm

So I need to map a CC to a button where 0-63 is ON and 64-127 is OFF? That seems like a lot of wasted information just to turn "contrast" or some such choice off and on. Why not have a preset preference which would allow note-offs to be ignored (ot not obviously) so that "off-on" choices could be toggled with a keyboard note assignment? This is not an uncommon control feature.

Enjoying the program,

John