using logical record and more...
  • JJHP3
    activ8 member

using logical record and more...

by JJHP3 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Hello All

First as a big fan of M8 congrats to all who created the program. Second, of course, I have some problems maybe folks can help me with. I'm using M8 (2.5, MBP 2.33) to make images for a multi-projector art installation. I'm using 640 photo jpegs, about four layers per preset with one CI filter per layer. Plays great, looks great. When I logically record, usually a number of the layers freeze. Every time. So I've had to resort to dumping via s-video to my DV cam. Ugly... I also find that after saving the latest project, that upon reopening, many of the layer filters are missing in action and/or sizes and placement of layers are all wrong. These things have really made using the program for complicated work much more difficult.

I would also appreciate more info on how to save and organize the layer filters. The manual is of no use to my small brain..

Thanks, John
    boris
    garageCube team

Re: using logical record and more...

by boris » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Hello,
    Off course we don't have this kind of problems here.
    Send us a cd/dvd or ftp link with your project and repport and we will examine it.

One question, how many ram do you have on your computer ?

THX

JJHP3 wrote:Hello All

First as a big fan of M8 congrats to all who created the program. Second, of course, I have some problems maybe folks can help me with. I'm using M8 (2.5, MBP 2.33) to make images for a multi-projector art installation. I'm using 640 photo jpegs, about four layers per preset with one CI filter per layer. Plays great, looks great. When I logically record, usually a number of the layers freeze. Every time. So I've had to resort to dumping via s-video to my DV cam. Ugly... I also find that after saving the latest project, that upon reopening, many of the layer filters are missing in action and/or sizes and placement of layers are all wrong. These things have really made using the program for complicated work much more difficult.

I would also appreciate more info on how to save and organize the layer filters. The manual is of no use to my small brain..

Thanks, John
    Boris * garageCube team
  • strictly

by strictly » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:14 am

at last someone reporting a similar problem with logical record!!

I use a G5 mac tower with 1.5 gb Ram. I am using Modul8 2.5
    Sometimes Logical Record will not record all the layers I have used. Or when rendering out, a layer will appear with different parameters than what I had originally set.

For example: I have used 3 layers of 3 jpegs (72 dpi, RGB). I set one layer to colour yellow, one layer to red, one layer to blue. I record my process. When I press render, suddenly one layer is missing, and both the remaining layers are red.

I have found that using only a few layers helps, and also only recording about 5 minutes of visuals. If I logical record any more than 5 minutes I start to have problems with the logical record freezing or crashing modul 8.

I too have resorted to outputting via Svideo, which means I end up by losing resolution by the time I recapture the footage back into my camera. not to mention time consuming.

please help, as this is greatly hindering my use of the program.
    thanks in advance.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:43 am

You'r right it seems to have some problems with the reconstruction in the layer stack of the logical record.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, we will fix it soon as possible.

In the meantime one solution (I think) is to save your project, quit and restart modul8 before your rendering.

Boris.
    Boris * garageCube team
  • strictly

by strictly » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:28 pm

i will give that a try, thanks for the reply.
    transoptic

by transoptic » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:37 am

Yes, I have found a different problem with Logical Record on my G5. Sometimes when I record a clip and render the Logical Record I see that it's rendering black, or one of the layers has become empty. When I stop the rendering, the layers return to the state I intended.

A solution that seems to be working for me: when I switch to an empty layer set, then switch back, then re-record with Logical Record, the render works fine...

don't know if that helps to track it down....