Puredata and Modul8 MIDI connection
  • pland

Puredata and Modul8 MIDI connection

by pland » Fri May 04, 2007 1:41 pm

Hello...

I've followed manual instructions on how to connect MIDI devices to Modul8. Since I wanted to connect Puredata (puredata.info) to it, I used MidiPipe to create virtual midi ports. I then selected midipipe's output port within pd and sent some midi data out. This is working, as I can see the midi data reaching that port.

However, when I ask Modul8 to let me map a midi value to a feature, it won't respond. I've tried several other things (MidiPatchBay, MaxMSP) and nothing seems to work.

This is on OSX 10.4.9.

Anyone experience this before? Am I missing something?

Cheers,

David
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Puredata and Modul8 MIDI connection

by yves@garagecube » Fri May 04, 2007 3:46 pm

I suggest that you use the PrintDirectEvent module to see if you receive midi messages in Modul8.

Launch the module, select "Midi" and open the script console (Modules->Script->Show Script Output). This will display any midi messages received by Modul8.

Yves.
  • pland

by pland » Fri May 04, 2007 4:30 pm

yves@garagecube wrote:I suggest that you use the PrintDirectEvent module to see if you receive midi messages in Modul8.

Launch the module, select "Midi" and open the script console (Modules->Script->Show Script Output). This will display any midi messages received by Modul8.

Yves.

Problem is, the modules online library doesn't let me install PrintDirectEvent in the demo version, and I can't buy a license if I don't know whether I can work with Puredata <--> Module8, as we will be using this to teach students.

Any way I can test this some other way? Or do you have a way to let us have just that module for testing? Once I can see script output, I should be able to debug, no?

David
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Sat May 05, 2007 9:34 am

Send an email to support[at]garagecube.com and I'll send you the module.

Yves.
  • pland

by pland » Tue May 08, 2007 5:43 pm

pland wrote:
    yves@garagecube wrote:I suggest that you use the PrintDirectEvent module to see if you receive midi messages in Modul8.

Yves.

Problem is, the modules online library doesn't let me install PrintDirectEvent in the demo version,

David

Hi Yves, thanks for sending me the module. Here's what I did: I started puredata and a MidiPipe to pipe output between PD and M8. I then started Module8 and did Mapping-->Edit Midi Map. I got Modules-->Show-->PrintDirectEvent, selected MIDI, then got ShowScriptOutput. Here's some of the output:

{'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'CONTROL_CHANGE', 'rawEvent': 176, 'param2': 5}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'CONTROL_CHANGE', 'rawEvent': 176, 'param2': 4}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 16, 'message': 'NOTE_ON', 'rawEvent': 144, 'param2': 0}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 17, 'message': 'NOTE_ON', 'rawEvent': 144, 'param2': 0}

However, Module8 still won't map any of these values when I select a parameter(so it highlights in white brackets, from the green) and move the control.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David
  • pland

by pland » Wed May 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Hi Yves, thanks for sending me the module. Here's what I did: I started puredata and a MidiPipe to pipe output between PD and M8. I then started Module8 and did Mapping-->Edit Midi Map. I got Modules-->Show-->PrintDirectEvent, selected MIDI, then got ShowScriptOutput. Here's some of the output:

{'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'CONTROL_CHANGE', 'rawEvent': 176, 'param2': 5}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 0, 'message': 'CONTROL_CHANGE', 'rawEvent': 176, 'param2': 4}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 16, 'message': 'NOTE_ON', 'rawEvent': 144, 'param2': 0}
    {'timestamp': 0.0, 'channel': 1, 'param1': 17, 'message': 'NOTE_ON', 'rawEvent': 144, 'param2': 0}

However, Module8 still won't map any of these values when I select a parameter(so it highlights in white brackets, from the green) and move the control.
    [/quote]

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm still trying, but even though the midi messages are coming through to Module8 (see message output above), I can't map anything. Any other way I should try to debug?

d
    yves@garagecube
    master

by yves@garagecube » Thu May 10, 2007 7:55 am

Yes that's weird. Hmmm.... The only think that I can see which is not very correct is the timestamp of 0.0. But I don't think it explains your problem.

I'll try to reproduce it.

Yves.
  • pland

by pland » Sun May 27, 2007 5:18 pm

yves@garagecube wrote:Yes that's weird. Hmmm.... The only think that I can see which is not very correct is the timestamp of 0.0. But I don't think it explains your problem.

I'll try to reproduce it.

Hey just wondering if you managed to reproduce this?

David
  • undone

by undone » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:23 pm

hey pland, yves,

i continously use puredata and modul8 and it works fine.
    i dont use midipipe.
    thru pd i automatically produce the midi note and while m8 has the focus it receives the midi messages fine from the internal bus.
    same is working if you start network midi first then select the network output in pd. Warning only the 1st output is working.

thou there is something i dont get. the rawEvents are they referred somewhere? i had a lot of problems with parasite midi signals that wernt wanted and the live midi routing has been hassle if not impossible.
    to edit the midi keymap by hand is until now the practical way to go.
    hopefully i get my hands on some more midi infos concerning m8.
    keep this updated.