does Modul8 run that much better on ItelMac.
  • vanakaru
    master

does Modul8 run that much better on ItelMac.

by vanakaru » Thu May 17, 2007 6:52 pm

I am trying to figure if I need to save for MacBook Pro or get G4 Powerbook 1.5ghz Ati 9700 128mg now. I have PB G4 867 with 32mg and it barely runs simple sets.
    So does core duos are that much better with M8 that I am wasting money on another G4?
  • freespirit

by freespirit » Thu May 17, 2007 10:41 pm

Before I got my Macbook Pro I used the latest Ibook with full ram and faster HD. Compared to my new machine that was a snail. The only thing that stops me now from going High-Def is my HD, but that will be solved if I invest in a Sata raid.

Beside VRAM the Ibook was quite comparable to the mentioned Powerbook.

What you also should keep in mind is that the PPC is at the end of its life, especially since some developers already are releasing Intel only software (think the new Adobe Premiere for mac).
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat May 19, 2007 1:22 am

Thank you for the advise. But my question is more about how Modul8 will run on these machines. And moreover does it use some intelmac specific features, that make the difference. I need a portable system for performance. iBooks are out, because of really poor graphics card and too small screen - intel or not.
  • freespirit

by freespirit » Sat May 19, 2007 1:49 am

Well my answer is quite simple Modul8 flies on a Macbook Pro. Compared to G4 models the difference is really noticeable. Modul8 is Universal so fully able to use the Intel processors as is mentioned in the information on this site.

I didn't advice the Ibook but mentioned it to show my experience in the major speed difference between the machines.

If you can get a G4 really cheap go for it, but if the price is inflated (like most secondhand mac's) I wouldn't buy it. And if you want to have the fastest option available get a Macbook Pro with the 256mb VRAM.
    oscillocamtv

by oscillocamtv » Sat May 19, 2007 2:12 am

vanakaru wrote:my question is more about how Modul8 will run on these machines. And moreover does it use some intelmac specific features, that make the difference.

Save up for the better box. The modul8 multi-threaded design might make use of both processors and the nicer video card in my 2.33G 15" Macbook has the better GPU and VRAM (256) to render the output graphics. I agree with freespirit that the macbook internal drive can't keep up streaming multiple high res clips (causing playback stutter).

The new Macbooks take care of this by offering Express/34. Now I can get into a PCIe expansion chassis setup for jacking in a SATA array (w/space for drives) and more video [card] outputs while still using the laptop platform. http://www.magma.com/products/pci/index.html

cheers,
    jk
  • krankjorem

by krankjorem » Wed May 23, 2007 12:34 am

i worked on my PB 1.67 15" next to a MBP 15" with the same files.
    it's really noticable indeed. my powerbook doesnt render all images of the movies. [working with a library of 20 files of ca 3Mb a piece] that results in stagnating images instead of flowing motion. the macbookpro blends it all perfectly.
    both crashed a few times. but my powerbook has lasting damage, [see my upcoming post] and the macbookpro runs flawlessly..
    let this be a lesson..
    chromafresh
    super8 member

by chromafresh » Wed May 23, 2007 7:50 am

another vote for the macbook pro.
    if you only use two layers, then maybe it won't make a difference for you. any more than that, and the G4 will drop frames and occasionally stall, etc.
    the macbookpro has been flawless (not counting crashes and bugs of course)