Trigger time ??
    VJ_JeSs
    activ8 member

Trigger time ??

by VJ_JeSs » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:35 pm

Hello to the garagecube team. And first, THANK YOU !! Great programm you've written. Looking forward to the sequencer to transform my vj programm into a realtime editing app !!. But...

...What about the trigger time. When I select a new clip to load into a layer I get between zero to nearly a second of lag time before it is loaded into the layer. Wich is a bit of a problem. Especially the fact that its not consistant (depends of the video I'm loading, how often I loaded it etc...) I suppose its all got to do with the inteligent memory system. But are you thinking about trying to improve this or not. I don't always do that but sometimes its enjoyable to play with the rythm changing clips :)
    machine : powerbook 1,5 GHz; 512ram
    yves@garagecube
    master

Re: Trigger time ??

by yves@garagecube » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:32 pm

VJ_JeSs wrote:...What about the trigger time.

You should check how your media was loaded (preload, stream,...) when you have one second of lag time (click on info and then on your media in the media window). I wonder if it comes from disk access or from memory swapping.

What Codec did you use to compress your movies ?

Of course, adding ram can definitively help you.

Yves.
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:09 pm

...And what size is your media ?
    Boris * garageCube team
    VJ_JeSs
    activ8 member

by VJ_JeSs » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:57 am

Ok, so I've done some proper testing. The problem was coming from clips loaded compressed in ram. I'm not sure why put the clips around the 30meg limit would take nearly a second to appear. So I've lowered the limit to 10meg and it seems fine (more disk access of course...).
    For info the clips where 512x384 photo jpg A 75% But the same problem appears with some of my "long" 320x240 clips

While I'm on the subject of triggering. I've also noticed that the saturation and contrast have got a lag time (on my machine anyway). If I have lets say contrast and saturation set to max on a layer. Whenever I change the clips in that layer it takes up to half a second to display the new clip with these effects (the clip appears at once but without contrast and saturation effect). Clips are still 512x384 (etc..)
    boris
    garageCube team

by boris » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:24 pm

VJ_JeSs wrote:Ok, so I've done some proper testing. The problem was coming from clips loaded compressed in ram. I'm not sure why put the clips around the 30meg limit would take nearly a second to appear. So I've lowered the limit to 10meg and it seems fine (more disk access of course...).

If your clip is around 30meg size and you use 10 Mg limit, your clip will not use the ram preload mode, and the triggering time will be longer.

How many clips do you have in your mediaset ?
    Probably too many for your available RAM (512 Mg) - considering all your clips are in ram preload mode.
    In this case your clips are not all the time in RAM - depending of the usage, it increases the triggering times considerably (loading and unloading clips in ram).

Yon can change the preload mode manually for each clip in the media windows (edit>info).
    Set the clips that need a fast triggering in "compressed memory" (stream preload) or "uncompressed memory" (full preload, faster) mode.
    And the others to "direct to disk" (stream) mode.
    Or then increase the RAM of your computer...

VJ_JeSs wrote:While I'm on the subject of triggering. I've also noticed that the saturation and contrast have got a lag time (on my machine anyway). If I have lets say contrast and saturation set to max on a layer. Whenever I change the clips in that layer it takes up to half a second to display the new clip with these effects (the clip appears at once but without contrast and saturation effect). Clips are still 512x384 (etc..)

The contrast and saturation pixel filters are achieved in software (altivec), so they can also increase the triggering time.
    Indeed, for a short time, the video appears initially without the filters, it's a problem that is corrected in the version 2.
    Boris * garageCube team