Help please with my setup
  • strictly

Help please with my setup

by strictly » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:53 am

Hi. need some help with my new setup please. I am currently running Modul8 on a mac book pro,
    using dvpal codec, most clips are under 1 minute long, having no problems so far apart from the odd fixable glitch. I need to step up to a new set up for an upcoming project.

I am running pre produced show from modul 8 for a live concert. I need a complete redundency system as well.

My output screen is a 12.8x4m Stealth Screen.
    I am using Encore to act as switcher and split screen into multi projection.
    I am using encore because the multiprojection (of live cameras) only happens for a short time,
    so seems easier to keep the switch seperate from the multioutput of modul 8, and encore can handle multi inputs of cameras.

I need to use synced, pre edited audio for some of the visuals.
    I need some of the clips to be 4 minutes long.
    Most of the show I will be able to split into smalled clips and trigger or mix live.
    I also need to layer clips.
    My output resolution needs to be 1024 x 320, my clips need to be 1024x320 resolution.

I will be using DVI to DVI output/input, I will also be using fast FW 800 external drive.

I guess my questions are:

What type of mac do I need to run this without stuttering or problems? (4 minute clips)
    What kind of graphics card?
    How much RAM?
    Does audio work reliably out of modul 8? Is it grounded without buzz/hum?
    What is the best codec to use to get that kind of resolution and quality with no stutter over 4 minutes?

Does anyone run a similar setup and have time to comment?
    I know it's not the most complex setup, but it has to work down to the wire.
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:00 pm

the amount of VRAM and RAM you have will have a big effect on playback ( too much is always better than not enough) as will the number of active layers you have up in M8.

try deinterlaced PAL video with either H264 or photojpeg codecs.

if you use a MIDI controller you can have a back-up mac running in tandem that you can switch to.

audio will be coming out of the headphone socket on the mac so get the audio guy to put a balanced DI box in line.

there will be a delay between you and the screen that can be adjusted on the audio side.
    watchout for the laptop overheating or being vibrated to shutdown by on stage noise.

you'll get a big delay on cameras going into M8 so don't go there...
  • strictly

by strictly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 pm

thanks, that's helpful. Cameras are not going through modul 8, they will be going straight through encore. (cameras are the mutilprojection part, 5 cameras on screen at once.

i've checkout your youtube page before deepvisual, you have some awesome help and good work on there.