Conversion AVI to Foto-Jpeg and alternative codecs
  • wuzlwut

Conversion AVI to Foto-Jpeg and alternative codecs

by wuzlwut » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:27 am

hi!

i am new to this forum and modul8. i am trying it out at the moment, as i switched from pc to mac, and i really like this program. i was using resolume before, with most of my clips as .avi with Indeo5 codec (400x300px). I already realized, that Indeo5 won't work with OsX, so i was looking for a (fast&easy) way to (batch) convert >500 clips to quicktime (foto-jpeg).

i couldn't find any program that would do this job for me, neither as a PC nor MAC software. as it seems, there is currently no posibility to directly convert those files.

one solution would have been opening every file (ufff) in quicktime and exporting it as Foto-Jpeg.mov, but quicktime (pro, last version) can't read those files.

i tried the same with premiere pro, but there was no way to export the clips as Foto-Jpeg without a huge loss of quality (setting 100%, full colordepth ... etc.) and its also quite some "action" from importing to exporting in premiere, imagining that i have to do it for 500 files.

another solution, that worked (at least a little bit), was using the free conversion tool SUPER (http://gpl.download.free.fr/S6Kg1.html) that allows to batch convert a lot of diferent videoformats, and export them as .mov with diferent codecs (sorenson, H.263, H.264, Mpeg, XviD,... NO FOTO-JPEG!!!) , but the quality can only be chosen by bandwith, and it doesn't permit more then 9600kbps, which results in quite a poor quality (exeption exporting as DV with a fixed DV resolution, but my clips are 400x300px).

afterwards modul8 recognizes those clips, but refuses to loop playback them. i had to open them in quicktime and save them again from there.

anyway, this is the only solution (?, better workaround) i found so far, and it is a bit of a hassle to convert all my files this way, which above isn't really worth it, as the quality of the result is really poor.

so now my questions:
    has anyone of you a possible solution how to convert a lot of files from AVI (indeo5, 400x300px) to MOV (Foto-Jpeg?

And which codec would you recomend in case it can't be Foto-Jpeg?

i guess i am not the only vj switching from pc to mac using indeo5 encoded clips, no?

so thank you very much in advance for any helping hand, i am looking forward to your proposals! THX
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 pm

http://www.squared5.com/
    MpegStreamclip
    I use this all the time. Very good controls and quality and fast and free.
    QTAmateur is the one I used before for batch conversions
  • sonicslice
    activ8 member

by sonicslice » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 am

I use this:

http://www.lividinstruments.com/software_batch.php

to do all my converting, works great for me and dead simple.
  • wuzlwut

by wuzlwut » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:48 pm

i could solve the problem ...

i found a way to install the IV50 (indeo Video 50) codec for my quicktime player in winXP, after that both, lividinstruments and mpeg streamclip worked fine!

and there is definitely no workaround for OsX, you have to do it via winXP ... ;(

thanks for your help!