Modul 8 + NuVJ
  • SanderK

Modul 8 + NuVJ

by SanderK » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi

I tried to use the NuVJ Controller on Modul 8 but i can't assign all the buttons and slider. For example if I assign the first button to trigger a movie and then I want to assign a slider for crossfading then it will overwrite the first one. It seems like the crossfader on NuVJ sends out the same Midi Notes as the button. Any idea where the problem could be or how I could solve it???
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:01 am

you can try with junction software.
    it permit to convert any information in midi (maybe signal from nuvj is not exactly midi :wink: )
    so you will see if the fader and the button send really the same information.
    Give me result of this test please...
    Jaime / www.starloops.net

by Jaime / www.starloops.net » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:14 am

how can i get jonction software ?
    Starloops Manager
    http://www.starloops.net
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:06 pm

in fact it is JUNXION.
    maybe google to download it ? or search on this forum ? there are also equivalent...
    i found somebody has the same question, he received the same information to resolve it.
    http://www.vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=22475(3rd post)
  • b1w7m5lwb4

nuvj as controller

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 pm

hi!
    i'm curious about using the nuvj as a midi controller, as well. I have explored the various options (midiPipe, midiMonitor), but haven't been able to reinterpret the control signals as a smooth increase or decrease of value. in the time i've had to work in the demo mode of junXion, i haven't been able to do it. i have RTFM repeatedly. i posted a rather lengthy backstory "NuVJ as MIDI Controller, a tale" on the numark forums, since it seems like they should know the ins and outs of their hardware. one of their seeling points for the product is "MIDI class compliant – can be used as controller for MIDI compatible software."

anyway, Modul8 is fabulous so far, exceedingly fabulous, i just wish i could get this jenky controller to work properly. I admit to a profound lack of math skills. any help?
    cheers,
    jay
  • b1w7m5lwb4

MidiMonitor results for NuVJ

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Vincet-P-
    here's your test results

controller 16 and 17 are the jog wheels.
    the rest, as they say, is history

12:24:53.005 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 16 127
    12:24:53.091 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 16 1
    12:24:53.275 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 16 1
    12:24:53.411 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 16 127
    12:24:53.535 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 16 127
    12:24:56.222 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 17 1
    12:24:56.253 From NuVJ Controller Control 1 17 127
    etc...
    Last edited by b1w7m5lwb4 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:05 am

I bought the Nuvj so I tested it on modul8 and midi freeware. The probleme is nuvj works with relative midi values. For example (like in your previous post) a command emit 1 for a positive rotation or 127 for a negative rotation as you know. Some vj software works with relative values (like Resolume on PC) but not modul8. However there is one module for the VMX Codanova using jog wheels so with relative values, you can test it, maybe the nuvj wheels will work.
    For the moment I have no time to developpe anything with nuvj because of studying, incomprehensible bug on m8 (and I would like vjing one day !) but I enjoy an intuitive solution like nuvj on m8.
    How many controlers emit only 1 & 127 values (don't count the button) ? if the probleme is only the jog wheels VMX CODANOVA module could be a great solution... :)
  • b1w7m5lwb4

solution?

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:38 am

too bad i bought Modul8. Any solution to the problem though? all the knobs (12) and the 2 jog wheels on the top panels send out these types of signals. strangely, the 'autofade speed' knob on the front panel sends out a 'normal' signal (maybe i need more info on exactly what that means). the sliders work fine, the buttons are note on/off, also fine.
    how can i convert the relative value signal coming from the NuVJ to something that can be interpreted as a smooth increase/decrease of value in Modul8? Will junXion do this? I haven't been able to swing it in the demo-mode time.

thanks for checking in with this, Vincent~

-jay
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:22 am

I am not sure junxion can convert relative to absolute. In first time I propose junxion because I thought Nuvj don't emit midi values. The more easy is maybe to create a module in m8 to convert the signal from knob. Did you try the VMX CODANOVA module for the jog wheels ?
  • b1w7m5lwb4

thanks!

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:54 am

thanks for the feedback! okay, so far as i understand i just need to convert the "relative" signals to "absolute" signals for the knobs. Or at least figure out what this means. I'll try the vmx-jog wheel module this evening.

Guess i need to jump into scripting and all that whatnot... i'll get back to you in a few months. (x-wince-x)

sorry about that "too bad i bought modul8 comment" i thought you were saying i needed some other kind of vj software. i am somewhat dense. Of all the vj programs i checked out, modul8 runs & mixes my little loops smoothest. I'm just beginning to get into effects, modules, control. very exciting stuff! a beautiful program and burly under the hood even if i don't know exactly how that works.

too bad i got that jenky nuvj, i daresay instead

best,
    jay
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Did you try VMX module with nuvj's jog wheels ? And can you confirm me nuvj switch/pad works on modul8 ?
  • b1w7m5lwb4

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:24 am

err, i'm back to RTFM about modules.. I open the module, it is a box-- i am not sure what to do with it. I have mapped the crossfader and the front 'autofade' knob. I am new to working with video-- my friend who did this business is living in a k-hole in Estacada, so i have a projector and all this new crap to learn.. another story..

by switch/pad, do you mean the pad buttons on the top panel? they send various note on/note off. I have had much more success mapping controls in Logic (2's Complement/Relative with the knobs & jog wheels), and wish i could figure out how to do the same thing in Modul8. Any good links to tutorials?

cheers, jay

"I remember watches. They measured time in seconds, minutes, hours. They measured time exactly, coldly. I measure time with my breath, the sound of my hands across my own skin.
    I make mistakes." -sherman alexie
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 am

I have just seen the VMX module and finally I think it is only a great program example for your future nuvj module ;). I said switch for pad buttons.
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:40 pm

I think BCF2000 module is also a good example to design a module for the nuvj. I wonder how can I design different view for one module like in BCF2000 module (controls view/edit view) or FILTER (LAYER) module (a part of the module depend of activated effect).
    Anyone can help me about creating different view in one module ?

EDIT :
    :arrow: I found it, in module editor there is one button Groups to manage different groups...
    So, who would like work on a specific module for the nuvj controler ?
  • b1w7m5lwb4

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 pm

in case you're curious, i've backshelved this project. I'm using a different controller.