Flash swf. files
  • ilan

Flash swf. files

by ilan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello everyone,

As you all may have read Apple has killed proper Flash support in QuickTime 7.3.1

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2008/01/ ... 31-update/

We are trying to address this problem. To this we need a little help. If you can send us some of your .swf files so that we can do tests with them.

We are looking specifically for .swf files that you are using in modul8 so we can best determine what your needs are.

If you can send these to support--A-T--garagecube.com with 'FLASH FILE TEST' in the subject it would help the GarageCube Development team a lot and consequently get you the kind of Flash support we all want.
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:21 pm

It is possible to downgrade QuickTime ? I am looking for an older version...
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 pm

As I understand there is no uninstaller for QT and it is not a simple task. If you remove all related files with App Zapper it may still leave something behind that prevents of installing previous versions. And you need an older QT installer.
    When I upgrade I usually just download packages and install them after backing up the system so I can just roll back to one. It is not a perfect solution, but in hard time it is a solution.
    Do you have previous QT saved. I may find one if you tell what v. you need.
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 am

vanakaru wrote:Do you have previous QT saved. I may find one if you tell what v. you need.

No, I didn't back up. :roll: I need a version which support .swf file, may be 7.1 (either older)
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm

OK here is QT 7.1.3. It should work without all the problems.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/103743220/Q ... g.zip.html
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Thank you, it works well with flash file now.
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 am

what about the most recent QT 7.4.5?

I'm still on a very old version of QT, too scared to upgrade in case it won't work with SWF's. will we have to carry on with old versions of QT forever?

grete x
    Vincent-Pimousse
    super8 member

by Vincent-Pimousse » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:57 am

Fixing is already done in beta version 3 of M8 2.55.
    Here is the thread.

So it is coming soon in stable version...
    eyeborg

by eyeborg » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:00 am

yay! there is hope in this world after all... thanks garagecube guys for doing the work that the QT guys should have done themselves...

grete x
  • cznickesz

by cznickesz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 am

hey guys, this one is fantastic work. i now can load even flash9- compiled clips. but as most of the times in life: give them your small finger and they want to get the whole hand. :)

so i right after being really happy to see my clips work fine in m8, i started thinking about two possible addition to flash- playback- capabilities:

the clips seem to be lacking transparent background, which i thought was standard in flash (i just know that from other vj- tools, where background is to be changed or transparent)

and

i was thinking about if it would be possible to load some external text/variables via loadVars or stuff. i tried out a simple dynamic text clip with a linked .txt file, but inside m8 it didn´t read the data.

just two suggestions, i´d love even more than the playback itself, which still remains to be nice work.

thanks for this massive improvement for now, c :)
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 am

cznickesz wrote:the clips seem to be lacking transparent background, which i thought was standard in flash (i just know that from other vj- tools, where background is to be changed or transparent)

Which vj-tools are supporting flash transparent background ? Do they do it in 2D or 3D ?

cznickesz wrote:i tried out a simple dynamic text clip with a linked .txt file, but inside m8 it didn´t read the data.

This should work but probably the flash player is looking in the wrong directory or there is some security settings to tune in the flash player.

Have you tried playing this .swf file in Safari or in the Adobe Flash Player ?

Best regards.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 am

As I understand, Modul8 uses parts of the safari plugin to play swf. I know that Adobe doesn't want to help opening flash to other softwares and that's why apple doesn't want to have it in quicktime anymore...

So, in order to have transparent background in a web-based use of swf, you need to add a variable in the html code. I don't know how it is implemented in modul8 but maybe we can have flash specific keywords for module to interact like html parameters :idea:

For the text import, is it a local file or a file on a server? Be careful with crossdomain. If it's a local file, maybe the path is broken when imported in modul8?!? If the txt file is in the same directory as the swf file and in your script you open "file.txt" maybe modul8 search inside the modul8 folder or in the computer's root?
  • cznickesz

by cznickesz » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:33 pm

concerning transparency i might have been wrong... possibly i used quicktime to playback and in some way this was containing alpha information... but i know, that flash files are in a way having a variable backgroundcolour in resolume (provided by the flashengine of reso as a adjustable parameter, so there must be a possibility to achieve that) and possible transparency in browserplayback (as sigma6 said).

Have you tried playing this .swf file in Safari or in the Adobe Flash Player ?

i tried out in flashplayer and it worked fine. my script contains a relative link guiding to the same folder, the clip is placed in. i dropped the txt into the modul8 folder without success.... perhaps i try dropping it here and there, or does anyone know where it possibly should be saved. (safari folder seems some kind of weird to me..)

i´ll also try out absolute linkage and see what happens now.

thx so far, c
  • cznickesz

by cznickesz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 pm

i tried to link absolute linkage with this script in flash now:

myData = new LoadVars();
    myData.onLoad = function() {
    myText_txt.text = this.txt;
    };
    myData.load("///Users/Chris/Desktop/text.txt");

works in safari, firefox, flashplayer but not in modul8 :(

any tips?

thx, chris
  • imwinkel

Any new developments on this subject

by imwinkel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 am

Hello,
    I am wondering if there are any new ways to work with transparent swf in Modul8. No luck with the methods listed above.
    Thanks!