modul8 sees internal camera but not firewire camera
  • MrTickle

modul8 sees internal camera but not firewire camera

by MrTickle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:09 am

I have two macs- a 1.33, 768mb ram Powerbook G4 and an a new 2.6, 2G ram macbook pro, both running modul8. The problem I'm having is that when I plug a video camera into the macbook pro (it's a jvc mini dv type) via firewire and click on the video button in modul8 I get the live feed coming from the inbuilt camera. I've tested the cable and camera by plugging it into the other mac (without an inbuilt camera) and it all works fine, and I've gone to the modul8 preferences, clicked on video capture and then on 'source and settings' but I can't change the input from one camera to another. Could this be a modul8 issue or a new mac issue? has anyone else experienced this problem? is there a solution? any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • VJnutcracker
    super8 member

by VJnutcracker » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:37 am

have you tried another firewire device on your mbp?
    Could be your firewire socket, on my mbp the firewire 400 stopped working a while ago, i have to use a fw800 to 400 converter now
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm

Have you tried the camera using imovie rather than modul8?
    It might give you some clues.
  • technomorph
    activ8 member

by technomorph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Try setting your input via Quicktime player.
    It should allow you to switch.

Another way you might be able to trick it all is to:

- Run Photobooth: it should get it's hooks into the USB internal camera
    - then open Modul8 and then it should see the FW as the USB will be unavailable.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 pm

Does a normal home videocamera with firewire work with the livefeed on Modul8? For example, Sony Handycams with hard drive?

Can someone help out explaining the procedure?
    Thanks,.
  • vanakaru
    master

by vanakaru » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:55 am

if camera has firewire out then yes.
    before using it with M8 open Quictimw and in pref select video source (your cam). then it should work in modul as well.
    and remove the tape to prevent it shut down after some minutes.
  • MrTickle

firewire cam now works

by MrTickle » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:30 am

Fab! got it working. I went into quicktime preferences and selected the video camera then I had to go back to the modul8 preferences and I was able to select the camera from a list that was previously shaded out, and weyhey there it is! ThanKs for the suggestions.
  • lamepantallas
    ultim8 member

by lamepantallas » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:19 am

Great thanks!
  • markmanley

This solution doesn't work for me...

by markmanley » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi - I was hopeful when I read this worked for some people, but it's not working for me. I tried several times, restarting Modul8, etc. I'm on a demo version - does that matter?
    Thanks in advance!!
    Mark
    johncgaiser

Quicktime and Photobooth recognizes, Modul8 no...

by johncgaiser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:35 am

Quicktime 7 preffs and Photobooth recognizes and allows use of both my Sony HDV cams but Modul8 ONLY will let me select the iSight cam from the list. All others are grey.

Modul8 reconizes my cheap Paniconic cam in both USB and Firewire by model number.

What gives?
  • Przm

by Przm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm getting something similar.

I've got my iSight and a Logitech webcam recognized and displayed as selectable in the list of sources, but if i select it it won't stick... it flicks back to some wacky google camera adaptor whatever that is...

anyone know whats going on here?

I had it going yesterday, but under a different user account. Changing the user account made it impossible to save Modules, but I adjusted the permissions for the folder to fix that. Could it be that the sources also need to write to a file somewhere?
    nesral
    activ8 member

by nesral » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:35 pm

same here with a canon xha1. Modul8 don't recognize t but QT and Photobooth yes i don't know why ?...
  • herbocarn

No solution

by herbocarn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 am

Anyone find a solution to this? Modul8 will not recognize my camera through firewire...FCP, Quicktime photobooth all recognize the external camera but I can not select in Modul8...when the isight is chosen in the other programs modul8 will not even let me open the preferences to choose a camera...what the hell.
  • vanakaru
    master

Re: No solution

by vanakaru » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

herbocarn wrote:Anyone find a solution to this? Modul8 will not recognize my camera through firewire...FCP, Quicktime photobooth all recognize the external camera but I can not select in Modul8...when the isight is chosen in the other programs modul8 will not even let me open the preferences to choose a camera...what the hell.

Please do not double post! It makes no sense and information may get scattered all over different topics.
  • rasha1

Re: modul8 sees internal camera but not firewire camera

by rasha1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:59 am

I've gone to the modul8 preferences, clicked on video capture and then on 'source and settings' but I can't change the input from one camera to another.