Which decoder for each format?
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

Which decoder for each format?

by geoffmatters » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Is there are guide to which decoder we should be using for each video codec? Will M8 default to the best decoder?

The release notes say "replaced deprecated Quicktime playback by both FFmpeg and AVFoundation playback for maximum codec compatibility and performance (for multi audio channel video, use AVFoundation playback option)" ... does this imply that AVF should be used only when (there is audio && we actually want to play back the audio)?

Previously, all my HAP clips would only play on AVF. But now as of 3.1 FFMEG will render them hardware-accelerated while AVF will play them on the CPU with poor performance. So I should find all the HAP clips in all my projects and switch the decoder to FFMPEG, right?

Sometimes clips don't render correctly in FFMPEG so I have to switch to AVF.
  • Pierre Guilluy
    garageCube team

Re: Which decoder for each format?

by Pierre Guilluy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

Modul8 chooses automatically chooses the player (FFmpeg or AVFoundation) that is best adapted to the imported file.
    However we let you switch in case the file isn't rendering correctly or with poor performance.
  • geoffmatters
    activ8 member

Re: Which decoder for each format?

by geoffmatters » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:45 am

Okay, great to know that it should "just work" for new projects and new clips.