10.5.3/MacBook/Modul8 Crashes?
    gmint
    ultim8 member

10.5.3/MacBook/Modul8 Crashes?

by gmint » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:21 am

I normally use M8 while I DJ (with Traktor) to run a LCD sign on the external display on my MacBook C2D/2Ghz/3Gig RAM. Prior to the 10.5.3 update, I've never had a problem. However, this past weekend, I experienced a hard crash running this config. Normally, I would have been alarmed, but I'm even more troubled because we had the same kind of hard crash on another machine similarly configured but running QuickTime Player instead of Modul8 (for the video sign).

I really don't think that this is an issue specific with M8, but what I'm wondering is if anyone has heard any reports of crashes related to QuickTime. The problem could easily be with something else (i.e. Traktor), but I know that the 10.5.3 update worked on a lot of graphics stuff (particularly related to the MacBook).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[BTW, I did try to check the logs, but I was in the middle of a gig so I couldn't find much]
    DJ G Mint

www.MidwestDJs.com • [url=https://]www.minidj.com[/url]
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Hello gmint,

there is a problem with Quicktime with some videos. I reported an issue to Apple with the photo-jpeg codec crashing when playing a "corrupted" file.

You could find the crash report log into :

/Users/your_login/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Modul8.crash.log

Please send it to support@garagecube.com with a description of what you were doing when the crash occured. As crash.log could contain multiple crash infos, you should also give the date/time of the crash you are talking about.

Best regards.
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

David,

Thanks for your input, but as I indicated in my post, nothing was written to the logs. Also, it seems as if the problem that you're describing wouldn't be something that would take down the entire system (as it did mine), but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also, my subsequent experience can pretty much rule out QuickTIme as the cause of the crash as I was working in my office the other day (using a completely different non-video related app on my second monitor) and I experienced the same exact thing—a hard lock-up of the entire system which could only be rectified by a restart.
    DJ G Mint

david
    garageCube team

by david » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:13 pm

This could be a hardware crash : memory corruption, motherboard problem, ...

You could run the diagnostic software found on the install DVD. Press D when booting on the DVD.

If it is a software crash, you will almost always have a log.

Best regards
    gmint
    ultim8 member

by gmint » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm

David,

With all due respect, please re-read my original post. As you can see, the same thing happened on TWO different systems. I have a VERY hard time believing that I've never experienced this in probably the year that I've owned these machines and all of a sudden 10.5.3 comes along and I get EXACTLY THE SAME type of crash on both machines literally within hours of each other. You must agree that that would be some kind of coincidence...

If we loosely apply Occam's Razor to this problem, especially in light of the fact that it's well-known that 10.5.3 contained substantial fixes for MacBook graphics, it seems pretty clear that this is a system software issue.

Also, I am very well versed in finding and reading log files. As I told you, there just isn't anything. Nothing in the console log, nothing in the Modul8 log, there's just nothing there.

I will still run the diagnostic software, but I'm not holding my breath on that...
    DJ G Mint

• nikon

by nikon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:18 pm

hello

i have problem with module8 2.5.5 comp basic macbook curent version with 4gb ram

when i start module8 2.5.5 from doc without second monitor connected all is ok it start and i can have fun ;)

but when i connect my second monitor or edirol v4 to macbook and start module8 i can see starting logo and after 5 seconds it crash after that i can see some raport... i can send it to apple done this like 20 times ;P

version 2.5.4 working without any problems... oh and reinstaled leopard yesterday ;)
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Hello Nikon,

nikon wrote:when i start module8 2.5.5 from doc without second monitor connected all is ok it start and i can have fun ;)

but when i connect my second monitor or edirol v4 to macbook and start module8 i can see starting logo and after 5 seconds it crash after that i can see some raport... i can send it to apple done this like 20 times ;P

could you copy/paste this report and send it to us (support at garacube dot com) ?

Thanks in advance.
  • nikon

by nikon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 pm

david wrote:Hello Nikon,

could you copy/paste this report and send it to us (support at garacube dot com) ?

Thanks in advance.

done
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:08 am

I've been getting a total system crash since I upgraded to leopard.
    happened twice now, during shows, never happened before.
    no logs as the whole computer locks up.
    gnoma
    super8 member

Crash Modul8 2.5.6

by gnoma » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:03 pm

recently and had diverse problems with Modul8 2.5.6. Not to identify itself where it is the problem. sometimes it is loading movies other times renderring. It had never happened to me. I think that can be the memory, but in this case only gives problems with Modul8 and not with other applications, at least that I have detected.

my configuration is this:

Nombre del modelo: Mac Pro
    Identificador del modelo: MacPro3,1
    Nombre del procesador: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Velocidad del procesador: 2.8 GHz
    Número de procesadores: 2
    Número total de núcleos: 8
    Caché de nivel 2 (por procesador): 12 MB
    Memoria: 6 GB
    Velocidad del bus: 1.6 GHz

(attached info detailed in zip). and crash logs.

http://www.gnomalab.com/Modul8_crashed_ ... 8%20crash/

I have a Live shortly and I cannot go with these problems. I would like to find the problem to resolve it.

Thanks in advance.
    Juanjo
    deepvisual
    master

by deepvisual » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:39 pm

I still have the same problem.
    all is fine then - wham - total freeze.

can't identify it at all, though it usually happens when keying.

I've gone from never having a crash ever in tiger to having 3 per 2 hour show in leopard. The really annoying thing is it never happens on the desk at home, only at gigs.
    gnoma
    super8 member

by gnoma » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 pm

I have realised hardware with the DVD Apple test. not found any problem of memory or hardware. It'ss a serious problem for me. :-(
    gnoma
    super8 member

by gnoma » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:22 am

I have proven this: to eliminate Modul8, preferences etc. (saving my moduls). To reinstate Modul8 again, to authorize and to prove the same patches that before failed… at the moment does not fail. :P :?
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 am

Hello deepvisual,

deepvisual wrote:I still have the same problem.
    all is fine then - wham - total freeze.

can't identify it at all, though it usually happens when keying.

I've gone from never having a crash ever in tiger to having 3 per 2 hour show in leopard. The really annoying thing is it never happens on the desk at home, only at gigs.

What is your harware configuration ? If your Mac freezes, it could be a driver problem; if it crashes, could you send us your crash reports

Thanks in advance.
    david
    garageCube team

by david » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 am

Hello gnoma,

gnoma wrote:I have proven this: to eliminate Modul8, preferences etc. (saving my moduls). To reinstate Modul8 again, to authorize and to prove the same patches that before failed… at the moment does not fail. :P :?

When you are having more than 4Gb of memory, if your preferences allows this, Modul8 could use too much memory (and you get crashes).

I think resetting your preferences, putted back medias preferences to correct values.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

David.