Multi-proection on curved facade?
  • carupz

Multi-proection on curved facade?

by carupz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi,
    I have to do a muti-projection o ver a curved surface. The idea is to construct one image with several proyectors. Modul8's funtion would be to divide the image inito parts and send it to de projectors. I saw in your page that multi. proejctions are posible with modul8, but the people that are doing the tecnical suport for my proyect tell me that its not posible because of the curves that the building has, and that to do so we would need something more than just modul8, a mac pro with 3 grafic cards and the projectors.

Does somebody know if it's posible with these three things to poject in curved sourfaces?

"M"
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 pm

How curved is the building? If it is a simple curve you could try to distort your footage using the sphere patch distortion in Modul8, if its more complicated than that the best bet would be to distort your footage in after effects before putting it into Modul8
  • carupz

by carupz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:37 pm

hi mowgli_uk,

thanks for the recomendations. The only problem I have with distorting the image in after effects first is that we do live feed with the video capture function in modul8 but I'll try the patch. Saunds like it could work.

this is the building. I'ts a really big tent...not actually a building. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... e045_o.jpg

Would mapping work better for this?

Thanks again for the help!!!
    "M"
    "M"
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Are you projecting inside or out? Do you have time to experiment on site?

You can probably achieve what you want by playing around with the patch distortion that I mentioned earlier and/or some freeframe effects but you'll have to do this once its all set up.
  • bratch
    super8 member

by bratch » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:29 pm

i think the best to do is to have a videoprojector with TWIST cards. Those cards can distort the videoprojector grid, so you don't have to distord your medias, the projector will do it live...some Christie or Barco have this optionnal card.