Which format is best for rendering to disk?
  • jockety
    activ8 member

Which format is best for rendering to disk?

by jockety » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi guys ,
    If someone could recommend a good file format to render to disk in modul8 that would be spledid! Tried quite a few different ones and they either change aspect ratio or
    fps seems laggy or both. Also any fps and pixel dimensions would be greatfull.
    Many thanks in advance Jockety
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:41 pm

It shouldn't change aspect ratio. Whatever dimensions you specify should be the dimensions of the render. When you say format do you mean codec? If so, it depends on what you're planning to use the rendered video for-web, vjing, editing?
    Exporting as animation 100% quality will give you a huge uncompressed file which is what you want if you're going to edit the footage. Photo jpg is best if you want to play it back in modul8 etc...
    I forgot to ask are you rendering direct to disk or using the logical record? If rendering direct to disk you will always have dropped frames.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes, i'm trying to amalgamate 10 layers into 1 essentially, and not sure which codec to use. I've been using ISHOWU screen capture a bit more successfully but quality is never quite as good as original. Do you think this dropped frames? Thanks for your reply
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:25 pm

It's hard to say what the problem is without seeing a sample but generally you shouldn't use direct to disk recording if you're after a smooth video. Either use logical record or plug your output into a DV cam and record from there.
  • jockety
    activ8 member

by jockety » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks guys, dv cam sounds good, also just read a thread on the mac octo core machines not so good with modul8, which i have. poo!