apple mini display port to composite or s-video ?
  • bdeschryver

apple mini display port to composite or s-video ?

by bdeschryver » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Hey VJs,

I have a 13' macbook and the only output is mini display port.
    I just bought an Edirol V4, which only accepts s-video or composite.

I would like to know how you do to convert mini display port to those standards...

I also have the apple mini display->VGA adapter, so maybe going from VGA to composite is the key, but how?
    I saw on ebay those 50€ boxes which give for a VGA in: 1 VGA out, 1 composite out and 1 svideo out. Do they work well?

Another way might be with the mini display->DVI apple adapter... but then how to go from DVI to composite or Svideo ?

Thanks !
  • anomad
    master

by anomad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:50 am

. is it a new macbook ('09) ? you should be able to get one from apple.

. http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:47 am

anomad wrote:. is it a new macbook ('09) ? you should be able to get one from apple.

. http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A

That is for mini dvi to composite, he needs a mini displayport to composite. As far as I know, there is no option other than a daisy chain.

displayport>dvi>composite
  • bdeschryver

by bdeschryver » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:00 pm

thanks vj_ava for your answer.
    But can you maybe give some link to devices to convert DVI to cponsoite and/or svideo ?
    Would it be better quality/easier than VGA->composite/svideo ?
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:01 pm

vj_ava, don't answer things you're not sure about… or explain how you manage to do it yourself…
    It is just impossible to go from mini displayport to composite directly, even if you chain adapters… there's no analog signal in that mini displayport shit… the only way to output composite, is to output mini displayport to VGA wich you can do with an adapter, then use a scan converter from VGA to composite. that's it…
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:49 am

sigma6 wrote:vj_ava, don't answer things you're not sure about… or explain how you manage to do it yourself…
    It is just impossible to go from mini displayport to composite directly, even if you chain adapters… there's no analog signal in that mini displayport shit… the only way to output composite, is to output mini displayport to VGA wich you can do with an adapter, then use a scan converter from VGA to composite. that's it…

Don't talk to me like I am your kid. I figure the only way daisy chain since there is no cable designed to do what he needs without a converter. I spaced about the DVI thing as I was half aslepp when I posted.

Glad I am starting to use VDMX...

NOT ALL OF US ARE AS SMART AS YOU!
    VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:55 am

I agree with ava. We should all be allowed to give new users completely wrong info about technology.

For example, did if you cut a dvi cable and splice each cable into 3 subsequent cables you can bypass the need to buy a TH2G. Also if you use VDMX your male organs will grow to pron star sizes.
  • bdeschryver

by bdeschryver » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey guys,
    can we go back to the initial discussion ?

So if I need to go with a converter from VGA to composite/s-video, could you recommend some devices to do that ?

I was talking in a post above about 50€ converters I saw on ebay. Do they work well?
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:30 pm

VjKg wrote:I agree with ava. We should all be allowed to give new users completely wrong info about technology.

For example, did if you cut a dvi cable and splice each cable into 3 subsequent cables you can bypass the need to buy a TH2G. Also if you use VDMX your male organs will grow to pron star sizes.

AWESOME! A person makes an honest mistake admits it and you still act like a douche.

VDMX support does not bring assholes out like the people here.

bdeschryver, do the thing simga6 sugguested...

mini displayport to VGA wich you can do with an adapter, then use a scan converter from VGA to composite.
  • vj_ava

by vj_ava » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:06 pm

And you can go from DVI to composite, even though it has been said you can't.
  • ilan

by ilan » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Please everyone tone down the spikey rhetoric or I will have to take drastic measures and that includes the comments by sigma6.
    sigmasix
    master

by sigmasix » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:06 pm

VjKg
    super8 member

by VjKg » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:08 am

I have to stop posting at 4 AM. Good Luck with the adapter fun. One upside to mini display port is I have been given several Mini-DVI adapters from people that have upgraded to the new Macbook Family.
  • mowgli_uk
    master

by mowgli_uk » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Dear me everyone's a bit sensitive round here!

I'm not agreeing with people's rough ways of saying things but it is true that one shouldn't post an answer unless they are sure of what they are talking about.

vj_ava wrote:And you can go from DVI to composite, even though it has been said you can't.

This statement is bold and untrue in this specific case as it has been pointed out already.
  • b1w7m5lwb4

lord give me a scan converter with no drama

by b1w7m5lwb4 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:46 pm

scan converters ain't so bad..

vj_ava wrote:NOT ALL OF US ARE AS SMART AS YOU!

this was inelegant.. i'm surprised folks held back as much as they did, when you publicly expose that much of your a$$ pain. you got a pretty darn nice answer there, sailor, with some gentle chiding, and you kinda flipped.

i think we all need a vacation. get some sleep and eat some decent food for once!